360 Panos using DNGs

Which is high compared to @Sparkyws at 100 iso

Just wondering which is the option - or would the lower iso give a different light on the cars?

Really not sure.

As far as I am aware, with 360ā€™s, DJI will automatically switch to manual anyway. I cannot remember in the above case whether I switched, or the drone did it automatically.

This is due to preventing ā€œAutoā€ raising/lowering the exposure/ISO automatically for each of the 26 shots. If it did this, then some photos would be lighter/darker than others and make stitching impossible.

Regardless, when shooting 360s, day or night, you need to use the same ISO and exposure for each of the 26 shots. I am 99% sure that DJI sets it to manual automatically.

That depends on the scene. Both ISO and shutter speed (exposure) can lighten or darken the image.

• The lower the shutter speed and/or higher the ISO will result in lightening the image
  • The higher the shutter speed and/or lower the ISO will result in darkening the image

But if you want some motion blur, you will need to increase the shutter speed, i.e. 1 second or more. So for night time shoots, with motion blur, the only option to lighten the image is increasing ISO. The downside of using ISO to bump the brightness is noise. But this can be reduced/remove in post.

1 Like

I used a MIni 2 in Manual Mode but I normally use Auto this was just a quick test, i didnā€™t expect it come out as good but stitching the DNG files makes it far better

I am pretty sure the Mini 2 always switches to Auto on the 360 pano and you have to set it back to manual before you start the process

What i donā€™t understand is the Auto-rotate is not working on this DNG Pano :man_shrugging:

Kuula setting?

You can only use this feature when you use the ā€œShareā€ option in Kuula. You can then change lots of settings on how you want the pano to display in forums, etc.

Iā€™m guessing in the first image the app has also done its witchcraft enhancement. The sky is considerably more blue.

A load of sky files still available here if anyone wants them

2 Likes

I did all that, always do. The one above is on the same settings and that auto rotates

The one below doesnā€™t but it does work elsewhere

Bizarrely its working now!

1 Like

Any chance of a copy Iā€™ve just keep getting the trial version please for Windows

Do you have a windows copy

I will DM you later

Thank you

I would like the link to a working version for Windows if anyone would be so kind to DM to me pretty pleaseā€¦ :hugs:

I am a great fan of 360 panoramas and have investigated quite a few ways of sharing them online, for free. I have an Air 2S but previously used a Spark. Here is my current workflow using the JPGs from the SD card.

1. Stitch using MS ICE. Resulting pano is 23,552 pixels wide.
  2. Fill in the sky using Photoshop. I find the best way is to resize the canvas to 11,776 high, draw rectangular selection over the sky and stretch it upwards to fit. This keeps the lighting and features. The sky is a little distorted but really doesnā€™t show when viewed in 360.
  3. I make any adjustments to exposure, shadows, sharpness etc
  4. For sharing online I recommend free Klapty. I do like Kuula but in the free version you canā€™t set up hotspots or virtual tours - and it reduces the resolution. Klapty does not have those restrictions.
  5. For exploring panos offline I use the free Videopanoramas Player. (Far better than Ricoh Theta desktop version). You can make standalone executable animations with as many customised automated pans, zooms, speeds as you like. I am giving a talk in a village hall tomorrow and during the interval will leave a series of pano animations running, all at the full 23k resolution on my 4k laptop display.
1 Like

MS ICE is good too, very simple to use. Why use the JPGs though, and not the DNGs?

Below is a comparison using the same photo, but JPG left, and DNG right.

The DNG is better quality; sharper, less noise and more data.

Another DNG Pano edited tonight using some of the @clinkadink advice :+1:

I donā€™t really appreciate the benefit of DNGs for all the extra effort and size. They are typically 39MB vs 12MB JPGs and require an extra step and more time to colour grade and sharpen etc. Looking at your examples, in my opinion there are more details in the shadows of the JPG on the left.

But look at the noise

Any idea why Kuula is doing this to panos Iā€™ve done today?

Iā€™ve been stitching them auto Autopano Giga. Pretty sure Iā€™m not missing a step, but itā€™s been that long maybe I am!

Taken with Mini 2.

Iā€™ve tried doing the vertical alignment thing as detailed here but it does absolutely nothing.

Same result on Mac/Safari and Windows/Edge