3D printing Issue with cura

Hmmm. Hadn’t considered PETG. Load of materials out there I guess. Easy to print with? Can it bridge (TPU doesn’t)

I usually print it with support

PETG is much better for outdoor usage. It’s stronger than PLA although perhaps more brittle. But it will last outside, in the rain and sun way after PLA has degraded. I’d say it’s perfect for manufacturing any elements for drones. Better heat resistance too.

It can be trickier to print than PLA but with a good first layer you will be fine and dandy.

Cheers gimbal. Have bought a real of PETG now, and also an ABS, might as well try em all, hah! Only got it running on Saturday, so all new to me, so far really happy with it! Done TPU without issue so fingers crossed PETG the same! Will let you know I’m sure. Now just need more tubs and silca for storage… How you store it all I didn’t realise how big the damned reals were :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Also not struggling with first layer adhesion AT ALL. If anything I really struggled to get my first few prints off, though seems to be better. Been using a lot of IPA, and glue stick :slight_smile:

Careful with ABS. It gives off toxic fumes when printed. The printer needs to be draft free too (ie in an enclosure)

Oh poop, will cancel it then :slight_smile:

Good news!

I have settled on PEI on spring steel base. can usually get away with no brim… dependent on the area of the base and height of the print

Yeah well was recommended to just go stock for a while see how you get on. Experiment etc. Apparent the artillery’s have a special textured glass bed that when cools pops off. First few prints I had to scrape but maybe I didn’t clean off all the stuff that apparently is applied at the factory and it does just pop off now!

Metal gears and a new nozzle is probably the first upgrade I will do. Worth getting larger nozzles? .4 are the supplied two. Apparently their customer support good too

Certainly! Use what you have first…

Larger nozzles? No experience there apart from extensive reading on it. You can obviously cut down your printing times drastically… As long as the extruder and hot end can keep up :grin::grin::grin:

Another quick question guys… Will this kind of thing work to thread onto? or will it just not be detailed enough to do?

My feeling is that it probably won’t work

Yeah did think that. Solid and force a nut on might work better? You know what… I’ll try a few things and see :wink:

Depends on your nozzle size and the size of that part. I assume you’re stock 0.4 nozzle? I’ve printed smallish threads before but always slice and see how it looks. Smaller nozzle and layer height will give you more detail but will take longer.

Well did manage an M2 thread and has a metal followed by a nylon one nut on!

2 Likes

as has been said it depends on the actual size of that threaded peg.

However when doing stuff like this for my brother I suggest i print it (solid) 100% infil and just as a rod (not threaded and then he runs a die over it. You can get quite clean results from that and of course a perfect size thread.

if you don’t have access to die sets it is a toss up whether to invest in a small set (M2 -M5 perhaps) if not doing this frequently.

Yeah I think I’ll stick with supported holes and nuts to screw through for now! Am now getting tired of it, and wanna solder and build the quad, but I’m a little perfectionist on this ATM! Hah, trying different things, and it’s slow progress with only a couple of hours each evening. First drone was up and flying in a week! (This one will be better, as our incompetent in charge says… “Build Back Better!”).

I have been 100% a lot of things, but tbh they 2-3mm deep, so wouldn’t get any infill anyways