3D printing Issue with cura

Hi all. Just setup my artillery genius last night and tried the accompanying cube which was slightly out so saw the levelling square guide. I could not get ANY output from cura at all. Had set layer height to 0.2 first and top layers etc etc

I did manage to use prusa though think did 150% first layer so was probably printed at .3mm

Here’s a couple of photos

I couldn’t get on with Cura, give prusaslicer a go:

I had far better success with it. I found it had a more intuitive UI and the settings where easier to find and understand. :+1:t2:

Well did get the squares g coded with prusa bit wondered why didn’t get cura to slice. Cura seemed clear but weird didn’t produce .g code for.same STL and settings.

I dunno I tried Cura when I first got my printer because everyone and their mum recommended it. I just couldn’t get to grips with it. I did get it printing but I just found the user interface difficult to use. Prusaslicer was far more user friendly in my opinion. Haven’t looked back since starting to use it.

Have used Ultimaker Cura since I first got my Ender 3 Pro. Occasionally have issues with .stl files download from Thingiverse, but that has been due to the file not Cura. Personally I use a clock dial gauge to set the bed levelling and tend to print 0.2mm first layer and 0.1mm thereafter.

I use Cura. But a real old version. 14.07. It’s simple and effective. I just looked at the file in my cura. Seemed fine to me with my version. It is 0.2mm height. I don’t like the new versions of cura, they do odd things.

Thanks Karl. Weird just makes no instructions. Where prusa did fine. Might stick with that and benchy came out well

1 Like

Looks like Boaty McBoatface to me :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I’ve been 3d printing for 2 years now. Love it. I moved away from Cura about 6 months ago and always use prusa slicer now.

Here’s a print I did last week.

Andy

1 Like

How did you get the loops to print on the coat without supports?

:joy:

1 Like

Level the bed. :crazy_face:

I looked at that mask on thingiverse 16 hour print :rofl:

Haha I saw it too… Scare the kids be great!

Depends on your settings! This was printed on a 0.6 nozzle. :slight_smile: :wink:

1 Like

I have not tried Prusa slicer at all and just use Cura 4.6… I’d agree that the other newer versions have their quirks.

As regards other comments about Cura… the standard interface and options you get on initial installation are very reduced but you do literally have hundreds of options available to add to that interface/screen if you wish; but you need to understand what they do first.

I had an Ender 5 and Ender 5 Pro thrust upon me to get some prototypes produced for my engineer/developer brother. Baptism of fire!

soon learned that there are some basics but no one setting fits all prints!

Nice! love a benchy.
Now for step 2 of the benchy journey…

1 Like

Well I have been cracking along fine with Prusa Slicer TBH. Seems all the same settings there. Shame as I wanted to use Cura, but atm just wanna get prints out, may have another go with cura in the future. Been doing well with TPU and PLA. Very very minor stringing on the TPU, really good results. I’ve not calibrated anything yet (other than levelling).

Now I’m using the PLA for things like the cam adapter (which after 4 attempts got the dimensions right, lol), a mount for the VTX, the runcan recorder board and a mount for the GPS. I wondered whether ABS might be more suitable for these parts (or even TPU, though unlikely, esp the cam mount, lol). Or is there any other filament worth getting or considering. It’s a learning experience, and think gonna need more tubs (fat balls great idea), and the silaca gel bags, etc. But I’m really getting the hang of it quickly, and made quite a few bits from scratch with tinkercad (with influence from Thingyverse, etc). I really do like tinkercad!

Anyways, what filament best for internal mounts (i.e. not exposed to the crash impact)?

I think most people use TPU for cam mounts.

Not on the top this time. I’ve got a runcan split 2 4k. So FPV and 4k action cam in one. So no need for that. It was the micro to full adaptor I designed and created meself using PLA, as TPU was far too wobbly for the FPV bit :). Was more the mounting stuff “inside” the frame I was looking to get a different colour, so thought ask what filament best, PLA again or a another…

I use PETG for a lot of parts - strong and resilient but also tends to break before whatever it is supporting does, which is a good thing for camera mounts etc. as it absorbs a lot of the crash energy by failing :slight_smile:

1 Like