400ft limit

I was recently watching a video on YouTube by Ken Heron who does some great videos. He is in the US, so differing rules to us but they also have the 400ft limit for height and it he explained that in the US you can fly 400ft above your take off point, and also, if within 400ft horizontally from your take off position is a building, hill or structure like a water tower or wind turbine, then you can fly 400 ft above that too.
So if your near a 500ft wind turbine you can fly legally at 900ft.
Do we have anything similar here?

No…

Stay 400ft above the ground at all times and you’ll be fine.

Some common sense needs to apply mate :blush:

2 Likes

I get that, just wondered if similar rules applied here regarding structures as they do in the states.

No, they are governed by the FAA, and have a different set of rules,
we in the UK, are covered by the CAA Rules.

Mate, come on, did you even read the text in the image I posted?

Remember that the limitation applies to ‘heights above/distances from’ the surface of the earth. It does not automatically apply to heights/distances from tall buildings or other structures

Source: https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Recreational-drone-flights/

2 Likes

Bugger, deleted my own post instead of editing :flushed:

@Alan1for post un-deleted :+1:t2:

What is this sorcery?
Umm I’ve accidentally binned my winning lottery ticket :grin:

No I checked with the military low fly zone team. It is 400ft above the surface. That is why they ask you to let them know if you are flying during their registered flying times in these zones.

Yes I did. As it didn’t mention structures I thought I’d ask. Didn’t mean to cause offence.

But if you read the drone code it does state:

“the limitation applies to ‘heights above/distances from’ the surface of the earth. It does not automatically apply to heights/distances from tall buildings or other structures”

and soon to be paying £16,50 for the privilege lol

just seen the ken Heron at a police station and wow some kit they had

It amazes me how this seemingly easy to understand rule can still cause a kerfuffle and some confusion. It goes to show just how different our understanding is for things like this. :thinking:

This really needs to be a sticky/pinned image

If only there was just one thread on the 400ft issue it could be pinned in. But new threads proliferate because that’s easier than using the search for the existing same information … as much as we try and merge similar threads. :man_shrugging:

1 Like