7 inch quad build thread. Start to finish

Haha yeah much better thanks Deano I’m an expert now :rofl: I guess this is the sort of stuff I would pick up while building my Quad. I find it all very interesting reading posts in the Racing Quad, Self-builds and FPV section. I often read through these threads even though I can’t add anything to the conversations :rofl:

1 Like

Stick around you’ll pick it up a long the way :+1:t2:

1 Like

Don’t worry mate I’ll be watching and hopefully learning along the way lol and when I have the time and money to build my own I will be coming here to ask you guys all sorts of silly questions no doubt :grin:

1 Like

Couldn’t resist ordering my motors early this morning, tagged a few props on to the same order, chose these props purely because it’s all Umannedtechshop had in stock, though they are most suitable, first time using foldables other than on my MP1, they have good reports from knowledgable contributors to the drone community, friend Pawel (inav guru) etc. :slight_smile:
@UnmannedCam feel free to chip in with some sponsored parts for this project, bit of targeted advertising :shushing_face: :smile:

I’ll follow up later with why I chose these motors,

Wouldn’t Bi-Blades be better for a long range cruiser? You don’t need the grip in the turns that tri-blades give? I haven’t really done too much research into the differences between Bi-Blade and Tri-Blade props but most of the BNF’s that are built for long range come with Bi-Blades? :thinking:

Think I might go for a 1300 kv 25xx motor. Not sure… I seen one with a thrust of 2500g!

There may be other members who are not as familiar with these terms as you.
This thread is aimed at ANYBODY on the forum who wants to understand the technicalities of building their own quad

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Possibly. That’s for the experimental stage :+1:

1 Like

I agree. We aren’t taking the piss mate, but if we explain as much as we can, it will help as many people as possible.

4 Likes

You buggers!! You beat me to it.

If I can get my pants on without falling over, again, I intend to start my Tyro 129 7inch build today.

I’m curious about this also. The Tyro129 is supplied with Tri-Blade props but other long range machines, like the Flywoo Explorer and the newer hex version, use Bi-Blades. My IRC Xugong 2 Pro uses 9x4.5 Bi-Blade props but these are supplied with and part of DJI E310 tuned propulsion system I’ve installed.

When I get more proficient at putting my pants on I intend to compare some Dal Tri-Blade 5x4 folding props against the Gemfan 5x4 Bi-Blades on one of my Vortex 285’s that I’m currently tuning for Long Range, or endurance, purposes.

Nidge.

2 Likes

Sorry guys, after me saying the other day that I cant understand all your FPV language I assumed that you were explaining every detail for my benefit :smile: but thats a fair point you have both made. I wasn’t considering other future builders potential knowledge levels. I think this is a great thread idea and I’m sure that l, along with many others will find it very helpful.
Appreciate you all taking the time to document and explain the build as you go.
Quick question… is this going to be pretty much the same basics for any build? Are there any differences between this 7", a 5" and say a Tiny Hawk build?

Yeah. The basics are pretty much the same. There are core components to an fpv quad:
Frame
Motors
ESC (motor controller)
FC (flight controller)
Props
FPV camera
vtx (video transmitter)
RX/TX (the controller in your hand and in your quad)

I think that’s basically it, other than add ons like a gps or hd camera etc

4 Likes

As the platform gets smaller they can be a bit more fiddly, smaller components, smaller screws to feed the vacuum cleaner, etc.

One thing sometimes overlooked with bigger frames is the need for a higher wattage soldering iron. Bigger solder contact points will leach heat away from low powered irons irrespective of tip temperature. As an example on my 10inch and larger builds where the power distribution board is also the bottom of the frame, I will use an iron with at least an 80Watt rating as I also use heavy gauge wiring which again is very good at draining the life force of less powerful iron’s. Where as even a 15Watt iron is plenty for wiring in things like receivers and video transmitters, and even motor and ESC connectors on small builds.

On very tiny soldering jobs I prefer to use a solder paste as this has a very low working temperature (in paste form less than 200degrees C) which reduces the risk of accidentally damaging nearby sensitive components. I’ll use either a very low powered iron, or for multi pinned components a hot air blower.

2 Likes

Great info as always guys thanks :blush: I look forward to seeing this build progressing :eyes: :nerd_face:

I too am building a 6S 7" quad. Everything is pretty much built just need to configure it and then get some good-ish weather for its maiden flight. I’m using T-Motor F90 (2806.5 @ 1500KV) motors and also going to try the DAL 7" folding props. I’m very interested in how your 2 builds fair with different motors etc.

4 Likes

Got any photos Neil?

I think I’ll order the basic things first:
A crossfire nano diversity with 2x immortal T antennas;
A bn880 gps module;
A Kakute F7 FC - I like these as the gyro chip is mounted on vibration dampening foam.
A Caddx Ratel 2 2.1mm lens, as @DeanoG60 image quality seemed good to me.

The motors will either be 1200-1500kv 25xx to 28xx. I need to look at all available thrust charts.
I reckon the ESC will be an all in one, around 60a per motor.

2 Likes

Delivery today :+1:

2 Likes

Another delivery :grinning:
Christmas is early :+1:

1 Like

Does that mean you have everything ready to start the build? :grinning: