7 inch quad build thread. Start to finish

Hi all interested parties.

@Steviegeek and I have set foot on a path to build a 7 inch drone each.
(@SirGunner 7 inch is the propeller size in fpv speak).

We intend to put up each stage, and maybe post a build video or two, answering questions, and gracefully brushing off criticism along the way.

Steve has ordered the frames, which I’m sure he will post a link to and explain why I paid for one :laughing:

Hopefully, they will be ready for some long range action when the weather turns towards next spring.

If anyone would like to join us in this build, we welcome your involvement (hint @DeanoG60)

8 Likes

Thanks for the translation Karl :rofl:

This is a cool idea and I’m sure many will benefit from a thread like this guys :+1:t2:

With your recent windfall I would have thought you would have paid for both buddy :money_mouth_face: :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

The misses has ear marked it for furniture :disappointed:

1 Like

Haha thats what honesty get you :rofl:
My Mrs did the same with my work bonus last year, I feel your pain :pleading_face:

1 Like

You guys going DJI? Or Anologe?

1 Like

I’ll be going analogue and running a 2G4 TBS VTX for long range.

Translation
2G4 2.4GHz video frequency, most quad racers use 5.8GHz (5G8) 2G4 has greater penetration through trees, hills etc. which results in longer range
TBS - Team Black Sheep who were the leaders a few years back in long range flying, if you have heard of a guy called ‘Trappy’ he’s the beains behind TBS
VTX Video transmitter, the unit that sits on the quad and sends the camera image and the flight details (OSD - On Screen Display) to the ground.

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This is the frame

3 Likes

Any UK suppliers? With all the shit going on at our borders, will the frames make it? Lol

1 Like

I’ll be analogue too for the long range.
I will look into 2.4 now. I automatically thought of 5.8. Doh!

2 Likes

Banggood are experts at shipping. But really, the unmanned containers are fine. Its the manned hauliers that are having problems I think

1 Like

This FR7 is actually an open-source design
CNC files are freely availableso if you know somebody with a really good CNC router with really good dust extraction in the UK you can get your own made.

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m going 6s. Maybe with a 4000mah.

Translation
The battery (or lipo) comes in multiples of cells - 1s, 2s, 3s etc.
1s = 3.7v
The more the cells, the more the voltage, more power (generally). But they are heavier.
The lipo size that you intend to use will dictate what other parts, eg motors, controller etc that you will be able to use safely. They will be rated for certain lipo voltages.
The mah is its capacity. More mah (milliamp hours) means a longer flight time, but again, the larger the mah, the heavier the lipo is.

2 Likes

£50 for 1 :open_mouth:

1 Like

May want to look into Li-ion packs at that price! :rofl:

1 Like

Good point Dean. Hmmmm

1 Like

Won’t be any good for freestyle or punch outs but would be perfect for cruising :ok_hand:t2: easy 20 minutes of flight time too :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Translation
Lipo batteries are lithium polymer. Li-ion batteries are made from lithium and erm ions :rofl:
Lipo batteries can produce a high current output for quick acceleration etc.
Li-ion batteries wont supply as much current, but are more energy dense. Pound for pound, their mah is larger, so the flight time is longer.

@DeanoG60 please supply a Translation :rofl:

2 Likes

My bad :rofl:

1 Like

Lmao you bunch of smart arses :rofl:
When I said I don’t understand your FPV language I wasn’t talking about batteries and general tech talk lol Its all the FPV specific abbreviations stitched together like below

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

On screen display

Link quality

Connection loss between radio transmitter and the quad.

A transmission protocol linking the the radio transmitter to the quad.

Receiver to receive the stick commands and any other information sent from the radio.

Think of a UART as a flight controller’s (the main circuit board of the quad) USB ports you solder peripherals to them like GPS units RX’s all sorts of different things can use a UART.

Is a type of Crossfire RX (really small :+1:t2:)

TBS is the brand (Team Black Sheep) Unify Pro32 Nano is the model and size of the video transmitter :+1:t2:

TinyLED’s is the brand and a Sled is a mounting circuit board where you solder a board into a board:

TrueRC is the brand RHCP is Right hand Polarisation of the Antenna. This must match on both ends transmitting antenna and receiving antenna.

Is similar to Link Quality this is your signal strength between the RX on the quad and the TX on the radio.

:grin: hope this helps :+1:t2:

3 Likes