7 inch quad build thread. Start to finish

Thanks to @Steviegeek, I have my FR7 frame now. Feels strong, with 6mm arms and plenty of room inside. My lipo even just about fits on the top.
Printing my camera mounts, gps and antenna holders now.

1 Like

Does anybody have any recommendations for a 2.4ghz video setup?
I’m considering this bundle when it’s in stock.

1 Like

gonna be interested to see which mounts you’re planning…

I’ll post links when I think that they are suitable. I may need to modify them and reprint.

Do I need two of them both? To harmonically resonate up to 2.4ghz? :laughing:

HoHoHo my bad :grin:

1 Like

Are you 3D printing your mounts Karl?

Yeah. I forgot to add, if you are getting into building drones, a 3d printer is highly desirable. Or to have a mate who has one!

2 Likes

Bloody hell this is getting expensive with a 3D printer thrown in too :rofl: I take it you can buy the mounts etc if you don’t have access to a 3D printer?

Yeah. Ebay is littered with them. But I can print yours if you need any for the price of a beer when we have a meet up

2 Likes

Here’s my fully 3d printed drone. It will do freestyle, and, as I tested today, it will hover unaided and come home and land itself.

3 Likes

Thats cool appreciate that cheers mate :+1:

1 Like

That looks awesome! Did you design all the frame yourself? Or find the STL files to print on the Internet?

I just designed it. I enjoy the designing. I went through multiple prints though!
To be honest (a bit off topic), my kids are practically adults now, and I gave all my time to them when they where younger, especially when I got divorced.
Now, they have their own lives and mates and I was at a lonely loose end.
Doing this kind off stuff keeps me focused and occupied.
And, slowly, but surely, my bank balance is returning to normal. So I can have my hobby :+1:

3 Likes

Its good to have a hobby you enjoy to stay occupied. My kids are 19 and 15 now so barely see them unless they want a lift or something lol

1 Like

Mine are 18 and nearly 17.

1 Like

Back on topic now…
Just thinking about things, and getting advice from a chap on fb, I will go 5.8ghz for the video. This will save my pennies so I can invest in antennas.
My theory is that this long range build wont be going around gaps in forests, so the video should be ok a few miles out. Line of sight of course!
I may even invest in a signal tracker ground station. I’m sure @Steviegeek can give me guidance with respect to purchasing / building one.

1 Like

Not a bad decision mate @notveryprettyboy
a panel antenna at 5G8 with a suitable antenna on the quad will get you miles as long as it’s pointed in the right direction :grin:

2 Likes

To everyone who may be reading this because they are interested in building a drone from scratch, it might seem we are waffling on a bit. But it’s all about the detail.
The journey, not the destination etc. Picking the parts, making sure they work together well.
That’s half the fun.

2 Likes

Brilliant calculator site Steve! Love it!