A Circular Walk from Conistone North Yorkshire

https://youtu.be/6Xi8ZwDTFrc

I created this video, made up of camera stills and video clips (from my DJI mini 2 drone) of one of our walks whilst on Holiday in the Beautiful North Yorkshire Dales end of Oct 22.

Parking can be an issue but most use the east side of Conistone Bridge. It’s an easy short walk for the able young an old alike with a tiny scramble to keep the kids amused. You’ll love the narrow limestone gorge, named Gurling Trough, just above Conistone village, which is an enclosed passage that is no wider than a footpath in some sections; You’ll also enjoy the amazing views on and around the Limestone feature called Conistone Pie.

The Walk begins from the Conistone Bridge and heads up eastwards past cottages, through a gate and along a path towards the gorge which is the direct access to the Conistone Dib. There is a short scramble at the head of the Dib that leads onto the Conistone Turf Road towards the Capplestone Gate trig point. Once past the trig point you eventually turn back SSE onto the Dales Way (not Dale way as the video states!) and towards Conistone Pie, which is a prominent Limestone Outcrop that just has to be climbed. The pathway continues on the other side of the wall that runs past the eastern side of Conistone Pie and on towards Conistone Village via Scot Gate Lane.

The Walk was about 11.8K and took 4hrs 45mins, but we did stop a few times to take the drone footage as well as soaking up the amazing views over the moors and the Wharfedale Valley: Of course it also includes the time to consume the obligatory cheese and onion sardies and crisps at the half way point. :rofl:

We finished the walk with a short video of Conistone Village with the River Wharfe winding its way through the valley. The walk is easy and ascent gradual but it can get a bit muddy in places after periods of bad weather. Nevertheless an awesome morning, or afternoon, can be had breathing in fresh air and getting away from the crowds!

1 Like

Really well put together - can I ask what software you used… it works brilliantly. Congratulations.

Generally, the result of a video is as a result of the time put in practicing and getting to know any one of many editing programs that can achieve a similar result.

None of them “do it for you”. When you see edits you like, use whichever you have to try and replicate. Even ones on TV.
Delve into the (usually faaaar to many) options, understand what each does, remember which you want to avoid, tweak the ones you like, and find out how to use them to replicate what you saw.

The number one rule, imo, is the old adage “Less is more”. One edit that uses every transition available just will be awful!

A better question is to you - which software do you use?

@Osdog Hi Diane. Thanks for the comment much appreciated. Like @OzoneVibe Dave said its the time you put in, as well as decent software. I have an old laptop that takes forever to render videos using a beginner’s friendly Wondershare Filmora 11 (@clinkadink put me onto that one). Don’t use the Fly app editor. It’s ok for short quick vids for competitions for example but not if you want a cinematic vid. It took me about 5 days (3 to 4hrs a day) to edit. I take loads of photos and 2 to 3 batteries worth of video and cut out all the rubbish. I then get some suitable music and put markers where the beat changes. I then edit the clips to match those where I can. Also like Dave said I stay well clear of the cheesy transitions and only use disolve or fade where there is a similar frame either side of the change (I didn’t use any in this video except where I stopped to take a Pano in the valley). I only started editing last Feb but watched loads of vids from very talented GADC members and copied them! :rofl::rofl: I think I love editing equally as much as flying. My stepson is a photographer and I understand now why he chose it as a career!