Adventures in 3D printing

Your first layer is looking a bit thin there or is it supposed to be?

I’ve no blooming idea @MementoMori! I put it through slicer, it recommended a base and added one for me! It’s looking like the model so far! Time will tell!

2 Likes

ETA to complete there Glenn?

I’ve got to go to bed soon :blush:

10 mins mate!!! Hang in there!

Must be the most bizarre combination in a single print ever!

Is it in Christmas mode? All the trees have the tinsel strung between them!! :wink:

I guess that will tidy up quite easily … but very impressive from the original scans.

1 Like

1 Like

Hi there. I have had a Finder for about two years now and although I have two more involved printers, the Finder is my go to printer for quick reliable prints.
If someone hasn’t already mentioned it, you print bed and extruded hieght is set large.
The Finder basic settings are generally good for most PLA prints as long as you have levelled the print bed AND set the print height correctly. (Once I get this right, I very rarely have to do it again). The gap between the extruded nozzle and the bed is quite small. To be quite honest all I do now is level the bed and just tweak each of the bed screws up equally by a small amount whilst printing if I getting stringing.
I have printed quite a lot of drone parts now and my Finder does this quickly and reliably consistently, unlike my Prusa clone machines.

All the best and have a great Christmas.

2 Likes

Cheers @Mmbf, I am getting stringing. I levelled the bed as per instructions. Do I need more gap or less?

Also should I be printing directly onto the bed or onto something else? I was never clear on that.

In the slicing software I use you can choose the layer height, are you able to do this in yours?
I think this is what @Mmbf is saying in his reply.
I print at 0.2mm unless I want a better finish where I will print at 0.1mm layers.

Untitled-2

Hi. In the tools section where you find the levelling app, you will also find a setting for extruded calibration in the setting menu.
Once you have the bed level, use the extruder calibration to set the extruder gap. I use a piece of A4 paper doubled as a feeler gauge and just adjust the gap until a slight resistance is felt between the extruder nozzle and the bed. They normally provide a small card in the kit for this.
What you are aiming for is the the extruding filament to be slightly squished down on the previous layer. This allows each layer to melt and fuse into the previous layer. If you don’t have this slight downward extruder pressure, the layers do not fuse together properly and will part, particularly when the extruder head moves off to start printing in a different place. Hence the stringing across the the print.
I have tried various bed adhesion methods and I have consistently good results with good quality glue sticks applied quite thickly (I find the purple ones better). I now very rarely clean this off between prints, although that does result in the bottom surface having a rougher surface finish. When I do clean the bed platform, I just fun it under a hot tap and clean of with a scouring pad. This also helps keep the bed surface a little rough which assists in bed adhesion.
Using a raft in the print options will also aid bed adhesion.
I assume you are using Flashprint a slicer, as I do for printing on my Finder. You will get more control if you use the expert mode printing window found under= File> Preferences> Printing window type.
There are lots of videos online for the Finder, some might say to many as some can only make you more confused.
Hope this has been of some help.
Regards. Mike.

1 Like

Welcome to Grey Arrows @Mmbf :smiley:

@Longstride for a first go mate, that came out bloody well :smiley:

1 Like

Cheers @PingSpike, the house I printed IS smaller than my finger nail so not bad considering!!! :slight_smile:

I’m going to try a larger print later, but as per @Mmbf’s comments and help I’m playing with print settings right now. Currently printing a small rabbit!

Can you sent me the stl, I’d like to look at it.

1 Like

Hi again. Here is a YouTube link for extruder calibration. It starts off with bed levelling and then continues with the extruder calibration. It’s a Chinese machine, but it shows the process.
https://youtu.be/VvjT3Y31IAw

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I adjusted the bed leveling again then backed it off a touch by hand. Seems to have improved it!

Here you go. Please just bare in mind its a clients private house, so dont go putting it on Thingyverse or SketchFab or anything :slight_smile: I’m sure you wouldnt, but just in case.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1139mdhmYOzkfT4Bx2tOKYfZTA1-1UFUX/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

I wouldn’t do that for sure.

That is a small file, without upscaling it in my slicer it’s only 13.4mm x 12.7mm x 4.6mm.

Here is a pic upscaled to 2,100%

1 Like