Advice flying around Beccles, Waveney, Suffolk

Hi All,

still consider myself a newbie as I’ve not had as many flights as I would have loved.
I’m in Beccles for a couple of days from tomorrow - work related.
I noticed Beccles common a potential area I could fly my DJI Sparkie and would love any tips on restrictions and general advice for that park or any suitable one around.
Many thanks in advance

Where’s Beccles? :thinking:

Sounds like some ones pet name :joy:

I found it:

I’ve updated the topic title @Aryour

True, but that’s nothing compared to some other cities :laughing:

@PingSpike thanks for the title update, it does show my lack of experience :laughing:

Morning. I’m in the Norwich area but have been through/to Beccles a few times (though not to fly).

Main thing to be aware of is that there is an aerodrone near the town where a lot of parachuting flights operate from. As you can see from this screenshot from DroneScene, the FRZ for the aerodrome covers about half of the common.

So you’d be fine flying on the “safe” half of the common.

Alternatively if you’re up for a drive then you could head to the coast. Pakefield near Lowestoft has a beach and green space to launch from and a fairly photogenic church.

If you wanted to go a bit further afield then Southwold is about 30 minutes away. Lovely beach and pier, and more Adnams pubs than you can shake a stick at!

1 Like

@rustybarnet many thanks for the tips. Taking the train down (with all the fuel mayhem going on) so would not have the luxury of getting to those other locations.

Here is a footage I took at the common https://youtu.be/bKnCjrCFbyc