Advice on taking a drone to Turkey

chrissy you are legally ok to carry the batteries they comply with all the current regs, but the power banks I would not even entertain taking, if you go prepared ie the cells placed in the explosion proof bags you can buy off Amazon for next to nothing and just as a extra precaution place electrical tape over the contacts, and as before take the rules and regs so you can defend your case…

Thats really usefil to know. Are you referring to the Mavic batteries when talking about the bags and taping up or the power bank?
Or can one just turn up at any airport with the Mavic batteries without issue? If so do they go in hold or hand luggsge?

Hi The Mavic battery’s I dont use power banks and the larger ones will get confiscated because of there rating…
I insisted everything stayed with me in my hand luggage, did want it throwing around by the handlers…

Could i just put my mavic snd the 3 batteries in my suit case in the hold and have no problems with it ?

No, batteries need to go in your hand luggage.

1 Like

I wouldn’t let nothing go in the hold, the way the cases get thrown around the poor little Mavic would have a terrible time…

Please can you direct me to where the documents are for this, as Im wanting to take the Drone to turkey later in the year…Thanks

Just returned from my trip to Turkey. I took my Mavic 2 Pro with 3 batteries in the original carry case that came with it. However, I did put the batteries into fireproof cases individually and put them in the main luggage and carried the drone on me. I had no issues at the customs, went through the xray machines without any issues but on my return the official asked whats in the bag and i opened it to show that it was a drone. I think the extra items i had in there may have raised interest. Since the batteries were in the main luggage i put the tablet holder after taking it apart into the carry case, which i presume may have got him curious.

Officially, we’re supposed to register any drone over 500g in order to fly it in Turkey. There is a risk of having your drone confiscated and fine imposed if caught flying without registration. At the moment only Turkish citizens can register on the Turkish civil aviation site.

I took mine, although registered it, nobody really bothered to check or ask me about it during my use. Locals were more curious than worried.

This my own personal experience. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @MertOzkan :smiley:

You mean the batteries were in the cargo hold of the aircraft, not carried on as hand luggage?

And you had the Mavic (with no batteries) in the hand luggage?

@PingSpike Thats correct. I didn’t carry the batteries on me. Also best not to charge them when taking them on the flight. I had them at 20% charge.

Interesting :thinking:

Who did you fly with?

I am amazed that they allowed that to happen !.
Batteries should ALWAYS go in hand luggage.

I have heard different opinions on this subject. I just decided not to take them in my hand luggage. It didn’t cause problems both in the UK and Turkish customs. Perhaps next time I will keep them with me just to be sure.

1 Like

It not really a case of “opinions”, it’s what the Airline policy is on the subject of batteries, most have definitive do’s and don’ts In regard of batteries.
I certainly would check any airlines regulations/rules before I travelled.
It’s not to easy to contain a Lipo Fire when they are in the hold at 30,000 feet!.

Thats a good point and have noted it for my future travels. Thanks @chrisjohnbaker

1 Like

I’m due to fly to Turkey for a week very soon. I didn’t plan on taking my Mavic Air but I’ve changed my mind. I’m finding a lot of conflicting information about taking a drone through Turkish customs.

From what I can find it is below the weight limit before it would have to be registered in Turkey.

Has any one here been to Turkey with their drone?

https://greyarro.ws/t/advice-please-re-turkey-2017-updated-2019

1 Like

I was in Icmeler the first 2 weeks in August, didn’t take the drone, probably could have gotten away with it to be honest we were in a very quiet spot.

However, security is very tight especially at Dalaman and had I been caught without the proper paper work I’m sure they would have taken it off me

Turkish guy though who probably speaks the language , when I looked the website to register was not available in English

See this is where it’s not too clear to me, if your drone is over 500 grams then you have to register as a drone pilot. Non-Turkish cannot register as a drone pilot.

So my Mavic Air weighs 430 grams so I wouldn’t register anyway. But it then says if you don’t have technical approval your drone may be seized and everything to do with the technical approval is in Turkish. I don’t think it’s worth the risk. I’m not going for anything more than a chilled pool/beach holiday and I was more worried I’d regret not taking it just in case I wanted to get some footage.

I’m flying into Bodrum.

If it was in the hold and I had the battery (I’d only take the one) in my hand luggage do you think there’s a good chance they’d inspect the bags? If anyone has taken a similar drone through Bodrum airport in the last year I’d be interested to hear your experiences.