Air disconnects at close at close range

Yes :+1:

This might be easier with a photo…

I’ll see if I can find one…

:+1:
This is what I always do - albeit the MP!

Here we go.

If flying directly above your head @Cheeze, you’ll want the antennas stretched out flat like this:

Stolen from reddit:

And from the MP manual :wink:

That’s what I mean, so the signal comes out of both flat edges, so placing them flat down the signal is going up (and down in theory)?

personally, I always have them at right-angles to that … the reason being, if the Mavic is directly above me I have the RC and phone rotated up 90 degs, too.
Looking straight up, and then down to the RC/device in that position is too far.
Rotated up 90 degs the device is vertical in front of you. Easier … imo.

Edit: But this doesn’t alter the logic on signal strength.

Yes mate :+1:t2:

Okay I think today (signal interference at 200ft) I had them at 45 degrees and the remote flat or slightly tilted towards me so at the point the drone started moving forward it will have gone sort of over the tips of the antenae, the weak spot. I’ll do some testing tomorrow. Thank you.

1 Like

@Cheeze
Ok imagine a magnets fields north and south then similar happens with an aerial see diagram below the signal is the whole of the aerial front back side not top bottom hope this sort of helps

1 Like

The MA certainly doesn’t have the range of the other Mavic’s, and you do have to get use to signal loss in a variety of strange circumstances, and sometimes not that far away - but the RTH feature has never let me down and is sending the MA home within a few seconds of signal loss.

Whilst I’m not the OP, appreciate the insights of the Illumimati here😉

There was a recent post ref passive enhancers, so I’ve ordered one of those c£8. It looks a bit Dr Who, but I’ll try this out next week.

PS I be always found RTH works although it is worth reading the manual as the protocols are different it the MA is within 5m or 20m of you

1 Like

A little update…

Followed the advice with the antenae postions, definitely better and with the odd disconnect I just repositioned them if I’d lost track of where they were pointing.

Stupid me though, I wasn’t in FCC mode, I was in CAA as I must have hit ‘Okay’ recently when starting the app up, therefore resetting the hack. I’ve put it back and will test in a few days.

3 Likes

CE mode :wink:

Excellent news! :clap:t2:

But…

Hmmmm!

Even with the Air on WiFi I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t disconnect when directly above you. Unless you’re stood in the middle of a housing estate with a ton of local wifi interference…

Any other Air owners had issues with overhead flights?

Yup, had diabolical problems doing the Firework Challenge with @UnluckyTimmeh and @PaperCrane kept getting disconnections, RTH, freezing video, etc.
I am sure that it was due to strong Wifi interference locally, as we were surrounded by flats and houses,
We were also very close to Tim’s Place of work, which he said had Servers, Routers, etc.
I had done the usual things antennas flat, but still no joy.
@PaperCrane was flying Mavic Pro, never had a problem with signal at all !

<“smugbastard”>

Gotta love Occusync

</“smugbastard”>

1 Like

As an MA owner, this “disconnect” issue is something I’d like to get to the bottom of, recog that it’s wifi at the end of the day.

From here and YT , it seems the steps to improve in no part order are:

1. Switch to 5.8 or a custom channel? if not done already. Point RC at the bird and make sure antennae are perpendicular.
  2. Passive enhancers: snake oil or not?
  3. FCC work round : if latest Go4 update doesn’t auto “correct”?

Is this how people see it? Obv step 4 is buy a Mavic Pro: :joy::joy::joy:

Latest Go4 hasn’t removed the FCC hack,

My view (untested) on the passive enhancers is that yes they should work but at a narrower distribution. If you think about what they are doing, it’s essentially taking all that signal that is being thrown out and reflecting/focussing it down a much narrower beam. So you may get a stronger signal but you’ll need to be more precise with how you “aim” the remote.

A bit of height also helps with the signal. As I said before, FCC on 2.4 gave me great coverage over an area that had wifi coming up from everywhere.

1 Like

Don’t forget you can also fly through, past and beyond a bit of interference. My house has WiFi weak spots that a few feet further on doesn’t.

Right stick forward :grin:

A mate of mine has just purchased some signal enhancers and found that he gets a really great signal BUT… and it is a big BUT, he has to be pointing directly at his MA. If he turns the controller away from direct line of his craft his signal drops like a stone to the point it initiates RTH. As the craft gets further away, It only takes a slight movement of the controller before he loses signal. The enhancer is making a very narrow but concentrated signal.My mate says it doesn’t make for a relaxing flight!!

1 Like