Airport charging for permission to fly in FRZ? Allowed or?

They’re not technically charging for access to the airspace though.

The CAP document probably makes no mention of charging for application fees :grimacing:

3.2 does say:
. Whilst some burden of work may exist in processing applications for UAS access to airspace, it is envisaged that this will not require an undue burden on the Sponsor and should incur negligible time or cost.

Any such cost should not be passed on to UAS operators, or manned aviation operators - in the case of a UAS Geographical Zones which facilitates UAS flight by restricting manned aviation.

2 Likes

I think that’s the all important part right there Chris:

1 Like

I agree, but clearly some airports don’t agree.

Shall we speak to them about it?

As GADC? It hasn’t effected me but it is a local airport so would be good to change the policy.

Sure, why not, I’m curious now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps a report here would be worthwhile?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Airspace-Access-Reporting/

1 Like

I don’t think the requests are being denied @ximi - This is more around them charging us for something they shouldn’t be charging us for.

2 Likes

Free ones are. :stuck_out_tongue: … one assumes.

1 Like

My thought process was that if they are charging a fee, and they shouldn’t be, they are in effect denying you access if you don’t want to pay …

2 Likes

I thought this one might be a good shout as it kinda fits?

https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/servlet/SmartForm.html?formCode=fcs1522

1 Like

Are GA charged to fly across an FRZ?

2 Likes

Varies but this is a good video from @MrMPW which highlights some discrimination:

2 Likes

I would definitely raise it with the CAA. I think the airport are dancing around the edges of the regs, and they are probably within the “letter” of the law but certainly not within the “spirit”.

I would note when writing to the CAA that fees like this will discourage drone users from engaging with the ATC, and may ultimately make it more likely, not less, that flights take place within an FRZ without proper dialogue and authorisation.

6 Likes

:point_up: Definitely!

3 Likes

I contacted my local airport a while back and was referred to the document below. No mention of charge YET!
A week advance warning is required. I would rather have hoped that once you were “known” and validated that a phone call to check you were OK to fly at a specific time and place would be possible. This I understand is often the case with military fields. If there is nothing going on you are good to go.

Haven’t used the system yet but the response from ATC was helpful and encouraging. I think it is the councils we have to be concerned with as they are likely to wish to swell their coffers.

I’m hardly surprised that Brighton Council are at the forefront of 'de colonialising" drone activities.

REQUEST FOR PERMISSION TO FLY DRONES/SMALL UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES IN THE
BLACKPOOL AIRPORT ATZ/FRZs

GENERAL INFORMATION
Recent changes in legislation have affected the areas in which drones can legally be operated. It is
now illegal to fly a drone or small unmanned aerial vehicle within an airport’s notified Aerodrome
Traffic Zone and associated Flight Restriction Zones, unless specific permission is granted by the
airport operator.
Blackpool Airport may authorise drone flights within their vicinity subject to certain conditions.
Firstly, any drone operator wishing to obtain permission must hold CAA approval and have an
associated CAA ID number as published in the Approved Operator list found at www.dronesafe.uk.
Secondly, permission for the flight needs to be applied for no less than one week prior to the
required date in order to allow sufficient time to consider the impact on aviation activities and to
allow consultation with other aviation entities if necessary.
Applications should be made by email to the following addresses:
safeguarding@blackpoolairport.com and
atc@blackpoolairport.com
A form will then be emailed back to the applicant requiring the following details:
 Operator’s name and Company
 Contact number and email address
 CAA ID number
 Flight date and start/finish time
 Drone type
 Location and maximum operating height
 Description of the drone activity
This does not guarantee permission for the flight as each case is assessed individually.
Non CAA approved drone fliers are recommended to operate their drones outside of the ATZ and
FRZs at all times. The ATZs do not exist outside of the notified and/or NOTAMed operating hours of
the airport, but be aware that the airport is often used by aircraft outside of those hours, especially
police and air ambulance aircraft.
All drone flyers are recommended to read www.dronesafe.uk for up to date rules and regulations;
there is also a useful map of all UK ATZ/FRZs and a copy of the UK Dronecode on the webpage.
Map of the Blackpool Airport ATZ/FRZs:
Nick Bentley
Manager Air Traffic Services
Blackpool Airport

1 Like

I have a less of an issue with waiting a period of time for them to process than charging for them processing.

I do agree if this is too long it may have the same effect and people may just not bother.

Tell me more?

General aviation fee is the CAA air nav charge in UK airspace.
.Only landing and handling fee is extra at airport and some just charge a landing fee (and extra per sq foor./metre parking/hangarage fee if staying over a long period…)

1 Like

Admin fee more like…£20 for some berk to say yes or no and send an email or letter/form…suppose they need to make money somehow… :roll_eyes: