Another day in the frightening life of a

drone operator… :scream: :scream:

I had a very minor accident with the mini2 indoors. Yesterday I updated the firmware and batteries too… I have done this before and notice after the third battery update the drone gets very hot (which I know electronics do not like) …so afterwards I left a lot of room around the drone and just did a lift off intending for a hover (as previously) and it immediately drifted to a drawer… nothing broke, blades etc.

It bothered me today so i thought I’d just try it outdoors to see if it held its position ok as it usually does.

Well… It did and it was quite a calm break in a windy day. So I sent it up and away for a few minutes… video reception to the display was poor and not updating smoothly… pressed RTH and it started coming back… got close to my location and turned sport mode off. Lowered it a little. then the drone drifted away from me… out of sight beyond the rooves of the houses close to me. I pressed RTH again and it did struggle to get its way back… Frightened the life out of me!

on getting it back i noticed the wind had really got up and at my RTH height (100ft) I’m guessing it is more windy up there than ground level.

Just checked the wind speeds locally… 16 mph normal and gusts of 39!

So… with your experience would these gust overcome cinematic mode (power) quite easily?

I have never had (what I thought was at the time) a flyaway. I have found this little thing very stable… So, just another learning lesson?

thoughts and observations appreciated. Thanks

2 Likes

As you say wind at height is normally more than ground level. I’ve just grabbed a random flight of mine from airdata and this is a typical wind gradient:

Full flight data

Wind profile for my hometown today
Wind : 19 at ground, 37 at 200metres
Gusts: 39 at ground, 54 at 200 metres
In this season you really have to consider your flying altitude :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks both for that…

I’ll try to think beforehand next time…

Have you both experienced this same kind of drift, too?

Can you confirm what firmware update you did as the last one for the Mini 2 was back in June?

That was version v01.03.0000 and is the only one that has done a battery firmware update

Date: 2021.06.16
Aircraft Firmware: v01.03.0000
Remote Controller firmware: v04.11.0016
DJI Fly App iOS: v1.4.3
DJI Fly App Android: v1.4.2

What’s New?

• Added support for DJI Smart Controller (requires DJI Smart Controller v01.01.00.58 or later).
  • Optimized gimbal FPV mode to improve flying experience.
  • Optimized auto-discharge process for battery. Refer to DJI Mini 2 User Manual for more information.
  • Improved flight stability and greatly reduced quantity of compass calibration prompts.
1 Like

I recently flew my Mini 2 in quite windy conditions

In Normal mode it wasn’t making any progress despite having the stick fully forward - it was actually just drifting sideways. Switching to Sport mode and it was able to handle the wind OK.

Ground level winds were gusting over 30mph, so probably a bit more at 40m where I was flying

Don’t use RTH in windy conditions as it comes back alot slower.
If your finding you have trouble getting your little fella back home sports mode and drop altitude worst case if you have lost LOS tap your map and follow the red line back.

If possible, fly out into the wind, so the drone will be blown back towards you

1 Like

I’ll take a look…

I guess you have to have the drone powered on for this…
Indoors :scream: LOL

I just flew mine indoors, no GPS in attitude mode :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m too cautious for that… Esp as I have not enough speed or experience to test it out… LOL

It’s worth noting too that wind direction can vary considerably at different heights

1 Like

Hello, I’m new to the drone scene. Just got the DJI mini 2 ,you mention updating firmware on the batteries how do you do that,If you don’t mind me asking thank you

It is possible that a new drone is already updated to the latest firmware

The battery firmware update was part of V01.03.0000 I put this info further up in this thread :fu:

If you are not sure then follow this guide from DJI

You can check the version you have in the Fly app with the drone connected in the about Tab

Also, have a read of the dedicated thread on the Mini 2 Firmware updates

Hi and welcome

If you’re in in a wi-fi area… Home?.. And connect up your Mini 2 the Fly app will detect anything that needs updating. I just did that yesterday and let it go through the update…
Switched off and changed the batteries and let it do the other two I had.

I made the mistake of flying Indoors :scream:

Hi… just checked

it is indeed V01.03.0000, now. perhaps it had done the update but not the batteries…

I have flown this with in the last 4 weeks and not got an update message before going out…

RC fw is 04.11.0016
Fly app 1.4.12

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

The likely reason it drifted was probably because there wasn’t enough ambient light for the downward facing camera (Vertical Positioning System) to work properly.

2 Likes

Thanks @Nidge

this all makes for a better understanding.

:+1:t2: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Windy is a good app for checking wind speeds and weather. You can set it to show the speeds at various altitudes which is helpful.