Another user from Aberdeen, Scotland

Hi, thought I better introduce myself before scanning the rest of the forum. Live in Peterculter, Aberdeen and have owned a Phantom 3Adv which I bought accident damaged as I thought it would be an easy ribbon cable job. (big mistake assuming that). After replacing what seems like the 46 parts that make the gimbal work, I am delighted that it seems to be working. So I am now on the hunt for suitable places to fly in the surrounding region. Hence finding this forum searching Google. Look forward to sharing knowledge and footage.
Cheers. Charlie.

3 Likes

Welcome! And paging locals @tchambers and @Cheenix ā€¦

Welcome and enjoy :+1:t3:

Welcome Charlie

Hi Charlie and welcome to GADC.

Hi @harmchar,

Itā€™s good to see another new user from the area. I just made my first post too (and just bought my first drone) and Iā€™m super excited to use it.

Let me know if you find any good areas for flying around. Iā€™ve never flown one before so at the moment Iā€™m not too concerned with getting footage just learning the ropes.

Shame about the new local lockdown weā€™re underā€¦:cry:

1 Like

Welcome to the club, itā€™s a funny hobby. Highs and lows. I bought a crash damaged drone about 18 months ago and have been trying desperately to get it fixed and flying. I didnā€™t want to send it out for repair so went on a steep learning curve joining forums and watching videos. I was almost ready to throw the drone in the bucket when I got it working. I too have been searching areas suitable for practice flights, but itā€™s difficult with the no fly zone covering almost all of Aberdeen, plus I have two helicopter zones close by. Portlethen and Southwards seems to be the best. But like you say, this new lockdown is a pain. Then it will be winter before we know it. Just as well I have other hobbies to keep me sane. I will stick up a post and photo of any decent areas I find to fly in.

I find it remarkable that you managed to restore a broken drone back to life. I wouldnā€™t know where to begin I think. Thank god for YouTube though, you can really find out how to do most things on there.

Iā€™m glad you brought up the No Fly Zone around Aberdeen because I have been wondering about that. When you check the interactive maps, it shows the FRZ around the airport (which is obviously a no-fly zone) but then thereā€™s this massive area that covers all of Aberdeen but it is not an FRZ. The highest warning I get is that thereā€™s higher air activity so extra care needs to be taken when flying. It doesnā€™t implicitly prohibit operations within it. Iā€™d be curious to see what other people say about that.

Time is going by so fast that winter will come before we know it for sure! Itā€™ll be my first winter in Scotland so I donā€™t know what to expect yet but from your message it sounds like itā€™ll be too cold/windy to fly a drone. :sob:

Controlled Airspace and Aerodrome Traffic Zones (ATZ)

There are no separate regulations in place regarding the flight of small unmanned aircraft in controlled airspace below 400 ft (Class A,B,C,D,E). Restrictions involving the flight of UAS within Aerodrome Traffic Zones are described in Flight restrictions around aerodromes. UAS pilots are reminded of all other responsibilities, including the Air Navigation Order requirements, that any person in charge of a small UAS:

• may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made and;
  • must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft ā€¦for the purpose of avoiding collisions. Note: The use of normal corrective spectacles is acceptable within the term ā€˜unaidedā€™

If operating above 400ft within controlled airspace, the permission to do so granted by the CAA will state that appropriate permission from the relevant Air Traffic Service Unit (ATSU) must also be obtained.

Class D covers massive areas of the country, and as long as you adhere to the Drone Code then all is
generally good.

Its always worth checking what Class D is in your area in your app of choice, obviously I recommend the very excellent, GADC run DroneScene ;o)

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write back and clarify this for me and hopefully for others that may see the post.

I had not seen there was a Class D toggle in DroneScene so I learned something new today. I was wondering why it wasnā€™t showing up in DroneScene but it was in DroneAssist.

Thankfully thereā€™s plenty of clear areas around Aberdeen so there are options that wonā€™t have much air traffic around but itā€™s good to know that we can fly within Class D as long as we adhere to the Drone Code regs.

Do you know of any people that have asked for permission from the CAA to operate outside the typical restrictions that apply? I have watched YouTube videos and read on the CAA website that you can ask for permission to fly higher than 400ft, etcā€¦ but Iā€™m curious if there are any people that actually make that request and if that is ever granted by the CAA.

Thanks again for your very helpful reply!

1 Like

A thread from earlier this year ā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re a star! Thanks Chris, Iā€™ll check it out now!

2 Likes

Hi Charlie, Iā€™m new to drone flying, still just working on a simulator at the moment and working up to a first proper flight! Iā€™m in Peterculter too. I could really do with someone showing me the ā€œdoā€™s and dontā€™sā€. Iā€™ve picked up a DJI FPV, and just need somewhere to practice, but the thought of breaking a rule or upsetting a landowner really puts me off. Are you often out and about in the village?
Thanks,
Galen.
(N Deeside Road, Peterculter)

Hi Galen and welcome to the hobby that will grip you once you get started. I have not had my drone out for the last two months mostly due to weather, work and family stuff going on.
I find it difficult to find decent places to fly about here where you get a peaceful place thatā€™s large enough and no trees or other obstacles that you need for the first few flights to build up experience. If you check out the Drone Scene map, you will see that I added an area beside Keithā€™s Tower which is just the other side of Drum Bridge. Itā€™s part of the quarry but I went on Sunday mornings and there was nobody going about. When we were in lockdown I went for a quick flight down at the football pitch at Corbie Park just the other side of Milltimber Bridge. I didnā€™t like that as much as it is too close to the roads. I now have a DJI Mini 2 which is far easier to carry about than the old Phantom I had. I want to start carrying the drone in the car when Iā€™m out and about just in case the opportunity arises for a quick flight.

1 Like

I plan to use it on family camping trips. Issue keeping it in the car - does a fully charged battery degrade when stored full?

I went out to durris forest or a first flight yesterday. Nobody about, big areas of felled trees and away from any roads. Exciting first flight, and wind was kind! Waiting on extra batteries arriving as I only got 15 mins flight!

Also thinking knockburn sports Loch. I have a membership there, so going to ask if they will permit it. Nice exposed mountainous area, Loch to fly over (if no-one in it) and a football pitch away from the main building.

I saw your mention of Keithā€™s tower, plan to go there too. Quarry nearby might limit weekday hobby, weekends should be OK.

Was also thinking around the coast, Dunnottar Castle gave me permission, as long as its outwith their opening hours. Unsure of good stopping/parking spots tho.

G.