Any Phantom 2 flyers still about?

Two more batteries arrived yesterday from the same seller with a Fiver knocked off for buying two.

After I gave the first battery a full charge I went out and did a hover test. This was somewhat disappointing as after 5mins the P2 went into stage 2 critical battery level alert with just one LED on the battery flashing. I connected the P2 to the assistant software and powered back up and this time three LED’s lit up and the assistant software claimed the battery was at 70% capacity. So I went outside and hovered for about 10mins before the P2 decided it was time to autoland. This time the assistant software claimed only 8% capacity but all three cells were hovering around 3.9Volt each. Rather than fly again I left the P2 flashing away in the corner for around four hours. The current draw was showing as around 700mA/H. After 4hrs the capacity had dropped to 5%. This tells me the batteries internal circuitry was well out of whack but with the deep discharge and recharge everything should be back to manufacturers specs.

Once the BT engineer has been today (landline has been out for a week) I intend to fit a telemetry module to the P2 and do another flight so I can monitor the dynamic voltage sag with the battery under load just to confirm all is now right with the world.

I’m a lousy videographer but I do get aroused by playing with the electrickery of the flying things.

Nidge.

3 Likes