Any tips for recording great video?

Smoothness is key for me.
Don’t yaw mid shot, or a way I’ve found to do it is start yawing and then record, just dont record the start of the yaw and it works ok.
Try and change shots to the music if you can, that isn’t really noticeable you’ve done it but it’s a really good effect when done properly. I always think it’s best to record more and then edit out, you can’t edit out or add in if it isn’t there in the first place.
Try and choose music that matches the theme and shots. Why some people add their favourite song to a video is beyond me, it just doesnt work and it needs to match the video. As others have said it cant be music thats your taste as it means it won’t be other peoples and they are unlikely to enjoy the video.

Something I need to improve on is making my videos a bit shorter, I actually watch all of the videos I watch if I’m interested, but looking at my stats it appears a lot of people don’t end up watching the whole video. So it’s something I need to improve on and cut back on the length.

Have a look at some of mine and you will see what Im talking about above.

My bugbear is transitions. Just no.

2 Likes

What would you use / do instead? :thinking:

Just jump cuts generally. It’s not a PowerPoint :grin:

At most I’ll do a quick fade.

4 Likes

:rofl:

Fair point :blush:

:rofl:

3 Likes

So I’ve been asked by a friend to get a mixture of stills and video of his 2 factories to make a presentation to new clients. Anyone got any tips for some great artistic “oh wow” shots?

@Mini2 I’ve moved your post to a thread that covered this exact subject just a few days ago.

No worries mate. My phone only showing most recent topics at the moment for some reason so didn’t see this one.

Thanks everyone for a great topic and some great replies to my question.

I will take many of them onboard.

if adding audio make it 3mins long as its easier to find a music track as most are 3mins long. fly slow and tweak your controller setting down to soften the controls. panning slow turning nice and slow which allows the human eye to gather all the info it see’s and makes sense of it. Keep it simple or at least to with in your skill level. look at other drone videos and pinch ideas its not a crime. if adding an audio track its just as important as the video. never over edit a video.

For new comers to flying drones, styles and tips. Here is a easy example of how to video a simple panning stationary drone. let the landscape tell the story try and keep it nice and steady and slow which allows the human eye to take in all the visual information there doesn’t have to be a story to the video. A good audio track is as important as the video . The entertainment is seeing the beauty before you and capturing it and allows other less fortunate to view this beautiful country. the video i will attach is Loch Lomond early morning. please feel free to add a video method for others new to drone flying.

@jaybee your post has been moved here, to a recent thread on this very subject.

2 Likes

Thank you

revisiting my topic.

Have tried video and to be honest they are awful!

I guess I am just not very good at doing this…

Really do not find this easy :sob:

Which bit are you struggling with? It takes a long time to get both the flying and editing skills to make it work. I look back at some of my early stuff and it’s hideous but at the time I was really chuffed with it.

Best thing I did was to really pay attention to any footage you see on TV or YouTube and ask yourself how they did it. Then try and recreate that shot. Things you will rarely see on TV:

• Jerky footage (not footage of jerky…)
  • Sudden turns
  • Transitions from one direction of movement to another (flying forwards then backwards)
  • Stops and starts

Eradicate these and you’re 90% there

Just checked and noticed you have an Air 2. For the best results that I found to start you off with is:

1, make sure that your gimbal settings are set correctly for smooth footage check out @ianinlondon video on these settings:

2, utilise spotlight mode basically just draw a box around the subject you wish to record and let the drone do the gimbal work you can then concentrate on flying the drone but spotlight mode will keep your subject perfectly framed and will eliminate any jerky gimbal movements.

You can produce some amazing smooth video using the above settings. Check out my personal example I filmed on a days fishing back in September.

Was filmed using my Mavic Air 2 (using spotlight mode) and Osmo action. Edited in iMovie.

1 Like