Any tips to improve my first long exposure photo?

This is my first photo with long exposure over a busy ish motorway M1 (J29)

Any tips on how to make ot better?

Looks a bit blurry on the left and the right sides @Oculus

Was it windy?

What settings did you use?

It was early morning around 7.30 with very little wind

Iso 100 4" Shutterspeed

With a DJI Mini 2SE?

On the ground? Or at that altitude? :slight_smile:

Both… on the apps that i use it said perfect weather for flying

It does look like the drone moved slightly during the exposure. I would suggest taking at least 3 shots when using long exposure that way if there is a brief gust of wind that moves the drone you have the other exposures to use.

1 Like

Yeah that makes more sense appreciate that

4secs is long for a drone to hovering, you could try using an ND filter or taking several shots and merging in an editing app to create the trails

1 Like

To some degree it depends on what you were aiming to achieve. For example, what is your intended subject? If it was the road and trails, then different framing (e.g. vertical, cutting out much of the buildings) could work; if it was the town setting, then maybe a clearer central subject would be good.

With the given framing, the blue building on the left feels a bit dominant, so you could selectively darken that sort of area, allowing you to highlight the road and trails more (you could maybe selectively brighten that part).

Another framing thing is that the road trails feel a bit cramped at the top. A bit more sky, or other space in the top portion of the picture would make it feel less tight.

As others have said, it’s a bit out of focus. Where did you set the focus point? And maybe a shorter time would give decent trails, but less risk of drone movement?

Hope that’s helpful in some way.

I agree, plus with any experimental shots, bracket the exposure, i.e. take several shots at faster and slower shutter speeds (and any other settings), and note what difference it makes.

1 Like

Could you take a rapid sequence of shorter exposures and merge them in post processing? You’d probably end up with a slightly smaller FoV but much less motion artefact.

1 Like

You could experiment with upping the ISO. It will introduce some noise but shouldn’t be too noticeable at up to around ISO400. This would enable you to get a faster shutter speed which will keep the blur down… Was this in Auto?

1 Like