Anyone have any areas in Nottingham, Derby or surrounding spots?

So I flew my drone over the nature reserve keeping a good 50 metres distance away. This was around 6.30am.

Managed to get some footage but a male Karen came over and told me I’m not suppose to fly over the reserve and that I’ll disturb wildlife.

I tried to explain that I’m keeping a distance to avoid disturbing the wildlife. He just said you can’t so I just said ok and left. Felt a little demotivated…

Anyone have any areas in Nottingham, Derby or surrounding spots where it is a little more discreet?

Plenty of spots around Nottingham, take a look at https://dronescene.co.uk

As for Attenborough, was he a warden? the area isn’t classed as an SSI but I dare say this time of year is breeding season for some birds.

He just seemed like a member of the public but who knows. I have looked around on dronescene but just wanted an opinion from some locals

I always check the area I am heading for restrictions so I would have been inclined to ignore him and carried on.

Most interactions I have had have been of the positive/inquisitive type but there are some “know it alls” out and about.

1 Like

Ken

2 Likes

Thank you Markas. I will ignore him but try to find a more discreet park maybe off the park but still fly over the park. Just to avoid these nosy know it alls.

1 Like

Cats are a bigger harm to wildlife, ban cats

There is no evidence that drones disturb wildlife, no more than

Planes
Helicopters
Gliders
Humans
Other Wildlife
Etc etc

All nature Documentary’s these days use drones

5 Likes

He also used the term ‘you people’ I don’t know if he meant my race or drone users. Apologies if I am thinking too deep…

1 Like

Also Dogs!

1 Like

bennerly via duct bramcote park i go to sometimes, ,hickings lane any open space really :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you bro!

There will be breeding birds at this time of year, but that doesnt mean you cant fly there. Just dont purposely disturb them. If you do notice you have disturbed them, then back off a little and allow them to return to the nest. You’ll know you have disturbed them when you hear them getting loud and start trying to mob the drone. Keep your distance and you’ll be fine.

ps, you should have asked him politely exactly who he is to tell you anything, and what he meant by “you people”

1 Like

Another case of someone with an ego trying to tell others what to do. Thats why i print out relevant information to people who want to try and tell me what to do including CAA guidelines and a dronescene map of the area. I normally use the opportunity as a learning experience for them. Its weird how people are happy for you to fly over derelict areas and not the ones with natural beauty, that people would want to film.

1 Like

where abouts are you? you seem very local tto me ha

1 Like

Lots of places around Notts / Derby you can fly at. I’ve flown at Trent Lock, Bennerley Viaduct, Ilkeston, Sawley , Stanton by Dale, Dale Abbey etc :wink::wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the amazing advice. I will definitely keep this in mind for next time.

I only just started flying a few days ago so really appreciate it!

Absolutely agree with you! I might have to take a note of your strategy. Might help me have the upper hand.

I’m based in Lenton. Where abouts are you?

Thank you for the suggestions I will check these out mate!

stapleford :slight_smile:

1 Like