Anyone use an anemometer?

I prefer the Windy app set at 100m altitude.

I’ve got one of these and use it in conjunction with UAV Forecast.

As @macspite says, it’s ok at ground level which just gives an indication if it’s ok to TO but unless you’re flying at that level rendered useless 10ft up

1 Like

ok thanks, :roll_eyes: so i think maybe i will pass on that them

Yeah I felt it was a necessity but in reality out of 30 flights, probably used it twice. But I mean it’s only a tenner so not the worst thing to have in your pocket :smiley:

On a hill it’s often the other way round - a 20mph wind on the ridge may be 15mph hundred foot up. As the wind gets compressed when it hits the slope.

1 Like

Me too, but hardly use it. As has been said it’s only giving you the wind speed at ground level.

1 Like

I use an Android app, very rarely. Zephyrus, uses the phone’s mic to guesstimate wind speed.

Hand held anemom always used on aircraft carriers years ago for free take off aircraft as opposed to catapault launches.
Needed a windspeed over the deck minimum of 32 mph for free t/o…
Airport windsocks if blown out to a 45 degree angle usually shows 30ph wind (at the windsock). (Roughly).

1 Like

I use to teach sailing at Cowes where we had a f3 windsock - fully blown indicated an f3, 45 degrees - F2 and just dangling with some movement - f1

1 Like