Approvals for flying within 50m of London Underground exposed rail tracks

Yes it’s called section 55(1) British Transport Commission Act 1949

I’ve never worked near exposed London underground lines, but I’ve done a roof solar PV inspection on a property right next to the main west coast rail line.
Just to cover myself, I followed all the Network rail guidance, and submitted my request including risk assessment etc via DroneCloud.
In less than 24hrs, I received a response advising that the job had been approved.

I think the point most are trying to make is that Network Rail don’t actually own the airspace over their infrastructure, yet are (seemingly) making people jump through hoops to get “permission” to fly within 50m of it. Also, I wonder if such “permission” has ever been refused ?

This is bonkers :smiley:

I wonder how much time and money Network Rail are spending on a service that isn’t even needed? :thinking:

that would be why rail fare is so high :rofl:

that unfortunately is public services all over…

a bit like 7000!!! yes 7000!!! design change requirements to a nuclear power station that is being delivered by EDF … who operate 56 nuclear reactors , and there is 1 being built and 14 presently shut down
Nuclear Power in France | French Nuclear Energy - World Nuclear Association.

the UK has… 9 operating… with an output of 5.1GWh output
… EDF currently produces 70% of Frances electric requirements with 61gwh of power … more than 10x the UK nuclear output…

costs rise from 26 billion to about 34 billion … 30% cost increase

HS2… any UK government IT project, etc etc… has 1 ever been delivered on cost AND on time, or just on cost OR on time?

Network Rail and EDF are both private sector organizations, so there’s that…

Explains why original prices go up exorbitantly. High time our government made contracts with private companies that are binding on price, right from the start.

Who predominately fund the British Transport Police amongst the other train operating companies and the London Underground (TfL).

95% of it from the TOCs. Private companies funding and setting the agenda for a police service sounds like am entirely sensible system to me. What could possibly go wrong?

are you sure with that one?

(my point with EDF was that the public sector kept asking for changes 7000 of them… so the costs went up)

‘Private compny limited by guarantee’. Absolutely sure.

private company with 100% ownership by the government via department of transport… hmm… yeah right… next you’ll be saying the government didn’t know about the post office and horizon… because it doesn’t own that either…

Sure. If you like.

Don’t forget the BTP are not a Home Office force. Same as the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.

Crikey, I have to wonder what these 7000 changes to a nuclear reactor were ? I bet half of them were changes to the type of screws/ bolts holding parts together were, or add another 6” of lead shielding. :wink::wink:

I’m aware of that. They still are an (armed) police force with powers of arrest, detention and charging people with crimes that will be passed to the CPS for prosecution in the normal way. On or off duty. Within or without their own jurisdiction. And they can be co-opted into Home Office police departments when required (international summits, riots…).

what cannot speak cannot lie (although it could be fake news…)

a letter to staff, seen by the BBC, Stuart Crooks, the managing director of Hinkley Point C, said there were 7,000 substantial design changes required by British regulations that needed to be made to the site, with 35% more steel and 25% more concrete needed than originally planned

EDF operate (and I presume have built) 70!!! nuclear reactors and currently operate 54 nuclear reactors… the UK presently has 9 operating reactors, and probably a similar number being decommissioned… the point being I’m fairly confident the EDF know more about nuclear reactors and delivering them in a cost effective and proven fashion than the UK nuclear regulator who is probably asking for the design changes… it’s like going to ford to buy a car… agree to buy the car and sign the contract… then when the specification arrives you tell ford that you want a steel bumper on the front and rear, the engine moved to the boot, steering wheel moved to the centre of the car, and tractor tyres on it… ford will tell you to f off… Bentley will just give you a custom price… which is what EDF have done. it is not EDFs fault. need to get the specification right before asking for the price to be put on it.

if you are interested in an interesting book, this is one worth a read (or listen)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Big-Things-Get-Done/dp/1035018934

Appreciate this is a bit (ok a lot!! ) off topic… but it is interesting as it does provide an indication of how often projects (like electronic projects with software, such as Remote ID done by a government department or agency are likely to ever achieve a target of being on time, on cost AND achieve the expected benefits… or even any of the three… and what the realistic cost, and time or outcome is likely to be for such a moonshot idea… to solve a problem that does not exist!!!

I work in construction (healthcare, in the past a lot of commercial and education)… there is a project listed in that book for a building constructed in new York,
8 spruce street, which is a 76 storey sky scraper, construction started 2010, and was completed 2012, and there were NO change orders (variations) from the time construction started until it’s completion. that is unheard of!!!

have a read here

it just annoys me when organisations piss money and time away on frivolous things… normally government organisations (like national rail requiring people to register before flying within 50m of any rail lines (or apparatus), for absolute NO benefit… like delaying a project (HS2, new nuclear power plants) due to frivolous changes, when they should have taken to get the design right before ever putting a spade in the ground (or issuing cpos for HS2 )… or the CAA with RID for a risk that does not exist and RID will not prevent

simply because it’s not their money but ours as tax payers…

(I’ll take it back on topic and say nothing more, sorry mods)