Artefacts in 4K video on DJI Mini 2

@nathankw I’ve moved these posts to a thread of their own in this specific issue.

1 Like

I’m hoping to get out for a flight with the new M2 this weekend… shall see what I can see.

Ah. Okay, I’ll get back to you in early Spring…

4 Likes

I’ve had a geek round looking at lots of YouTube videos and yes the line is there on the guys that have uploaded 4k.

Not sure I have any blue sky videos yet to check my own.

Is it all framerates does anyone know?

From what I’ve read, any frame rate in 4k. Any frame rate in 2.7k or below doesn’t have the issue. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Wonder if that’s due to sensor size and cropping for the lower resolution? So it actually crops the issue out.

2 Likes

Seems a moot point given what’s gone before, but yep… there it is.

To be honest, I probably would have taken a long, long time to spot it if it hadn’t been pointed out.

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 14.43.05

Whilst it shouldn’t be there, the tiniest bit of zoom in post would get rid of it, I wouldn’t let it spoil your enjoyment.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking - little bit of a crop and it’s gone.

With my eyes I can hardly see it even knowing it is there. Totally agree, it will not spoil what is a fantastic drone for me.

If you’re purely a leisure flyer I agree it’s trivial.

But if you’re planning to use the video for commercial purposes (even just to put videos on pond5 or youtube) it’s a pain.
Yes you can crop in but that’s an extra processing step and it mean you’ll never get true 4k when that’s one of the top selling points of the Mini 2.

It’s still an awesome drone - but it’ll be even better when (if?) they fix this.

1 Like

Dammit, now I can’t un-see it! Looks like its back to 2.7k for now.

If you’re doing it commercially, the extra 2 seconds to crop in are nothing. The M2P has horrific barrel distortion and it’s just part of my work flow to correct it.

3 Likes

Shoot in 2.7 and render to 4K.

Problem solved until/if they sort it.

Factor it in to the pricing :wink:

1 Like

True - the biggest issue is forgetting to crop in and then down the line someone spots the glitch.

As for shooting 2.7k - not only are you not getting the 4k we’ve all paid for - but you’re getting a much lower bitrate.

For me one of the biggest advantages of the mini 2 is the 100mbps bitrate - that’s actually more important to image quality than the 4k itself. When you should at 2.7k it appears to drop down to around 40mbps

1 Like

In FCPX I’m able to set an auto crop of 101.4% I’m sure other programs have the same feature.

Send it back.

2 Likes

I’ve just checked all my 4K footage and cannot see it anywhere at any time… I’ll try some screen grabs and zoom. All my Mini 2 videos posted on YouTube are shot in 4K but I render and upload in 2.7K, but that wouldn’t remove any artefact that was there, so at the moment I don’t seem to have it. Next clear dark blue sky day I get I’ll head out filming.

2 Likes

Just had a good look at mine and yes its there, not just on the blue sky.

is the bitrate actually increasing the image quality or just going toward the extra pixels?

Check your video here at 2:40

After doing some more geeking it seems the artefacts are also visible on the transmitted signal during flight, so I had a look at yours, sure enough there it is ;o(

Also at 3:59 on the video in the final few scenes (thats the video and not a screen recording of the app like the above)

3 Likes