Artefacts in 4K video on DJI Mini 2

Sadly doesn’t fix the issue with the line in the top left on 4k video.

Surprised people aren’t making a bigger deal of this as it’s a bit of failure of a 4k drone that can’t shoot a clean 4k image.

Worrying that if they haven’t fixed it with this update it’s obviously not a trivial fix.
Might it even be not fixable with firmware?

Probably a unit fault, mines fine

Mine is fine too :man_shrugging:

Have you seen this issue discussed elsewhere by many other people @nathankw?

Are you sure you don’t have it?
It’s discussed in a number of other forums (am I allowed to post a link?) including on the DJI forums.

I didn’t spot it in my footage until it was pointed out but it’s definitely there - and I’ve seen posts from people saying they didn’t have it - only for them to go back and check and realise it was there all along.

Sometimes it’s hard to see as the stripe depends on the background colour. It’s most obvious against a pure blue sky. Please do look back at your footage - zoom right in to the top left and see if you have it. It only appears in 4k mode and only in video, not stills.

Apparently DJI have confirmed it is a fault and said it would be fixed in their next firmware update - but sadly it hasn’t been.

Just post us an example of yours ? Ive seen your post on MP

From

It is there…not that I can see it without squinting.

Here you go - a recent still:

Here’s a closeup of the top left - the artefact clearly visible.
dji mini 2 example CU

How visible it is completely depends on the background colour.
So here’s a still a few seconds later. The artefact is presumably still there but because the sky in the top left is now grey, not blue, it’s hard to see.

Whereas here’s a crop of a very blue sky and the glitch is very visible:

From other threads it seems common for people to think they don’t have it only to find it. If anyone is sure they don’t have the glitch would be interesting to see a frame grab from a 4k with a clear blue sky with no artefact.

Yeah, I’ve yet to see 4K video from a Mini 2 that demonstrates someone not having this problem. Whatever the cause it’s clearly not an easy fix for DJI. Not entirely convinced that it can even be done in firmware.

I too didn’t notice it until I looked closely. What could be causing this? As it’s not there when filming in 2.7k

@PingSpike and @milkmanchris - any chance you could post some frames from your Mini 2 (4k with a nice blue sky top left) so we can get to the bottom of this.

The DJI forum thread seems to conclude that all Mini 2’s have the fault so if there some units without that could be significant.

@nathankw I’ve moved these posts to a thread of their own in this specific issue.

1 Like

I’m hoping to get out for a flight with the new M2 this weekend… shall see what I can see.

Ah. Okay, I’ll get back to you in early Spring…

4 Likes

I’ve had a geek round looking at lots of YouTube videos and yes the line is there on the guys that have uploaded 4k.

Not sure I have any blue sky videos yet to check my own.

Is it all framerates does anyone know?

From what I’ve read, any frame rate in 4k. Any frame rate in 2.7k or below doesn’t have the issue. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Wonder if that’s due to sensor size and cropping for the lower resolution? So it actually crops the issue out.

2 Likes

Seems a moot point given what’s gone before, but yep… there it is.

To be honest, I probably would have taken a long, long time to spot it if it hadn’t been pointed out.

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 14.43.05

Whilst it shouldn’t be there, the tiniest bit of zoom in post would get rid of it, I wouldn’t let it spoil your enjoyment.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking - little bit of a crop and it’s gone.

With my eyes I can hardly see it even knowing it is there. Totally agree, it will not spoil what is a fantastic drone for me.

If you’re purely a leisure flyer I agree it’s trivial.

But if you’re planning to use the video for commercial purposes (even just to put videos on pond5 or youtube) it’s a pain.
Yes you can crop in but that’s an extra processing step and it mean you’ll never get true 4k when that’s one of the top selling points of the Mini 2.

It’s still an awesome drone - but it’ll be even better when (if?) they fix this.

1 Like