Autel Evo II 2 leak - Now not a leak!

I thought Vimeo did 8K already? :thinking:

1 Like

I donā€™t have any to find out. :wink:

:+1:t2:

1 Like

Yeah - but with only 7TB of storage - thatā€™ll be gone in an hour of flying! ā€” almost. Thatā€™s Ā£70/month.

My 1080p TV is sounding more attractive by the minute :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, I can probably answer a few of the questions as already been there with the EVO 1 and now the 2, a lot of the same observations but never had a DJI so canā€™t compare.
The first thing that comes to mind is the SD card, mine seems fine and just adds to the 100 Folder file list, they like you to connect to the USB C connector on the side of the EVO to download the files, why I donā€™t knowā€¦ perhaps itā€™s something to do with my previous post about USBā€¦ but it works fine and should let you delete files as needed.
The LED lights do not work correctly, known problem, donā€™t flash and not brightā€¦ they are working in itā€¦ I use two external very very bright LED strips I fashioned from a cycle headlight, 20gms and so bright you cant look at itā€¦
Batteries, when you swop batteries go into Batteries in APP, you can see the new serial number come up after a while, it does eventually go to Air Data, takes a while once you manually upload it, it doesnt seem to do it automatically, I set as favourite and just up-lode themā€¦
No DNG, just JPG and RAW, never has beenā€¦ We have asked them for itā€¦
Once you re-cycle the batteries 4 plus time you will get 40 mins easyā€¦
Signal at 2.4 is stable normally up to 2 to 3 miles, never had a problem and better on the 2ā€¦ 2.4 is good and 5 Ghz is not great in urban areaā€¦
Yes, you need to set the EXP, 0.21 is goodā€¦
I think the JPGā€™s are real and not taken from the Video, will check but mine have much different resolutions when you checkā€¦ RAW is rubbish in the EVOā€™s, colour matching doesnā€™t go wellā€¦

Iā€™ll have a look t the other questions today and see if can offer any more help.

I now have an hour or so of reasonable video, three long flights, different places and a herd of cowsā€¦

I still use the 6K and then down scale to 4K in the the editor, you get to keep much more resolution in the background and the whole image is sorta compressed , editing then in 4K is pretty easy, I have tried in 6K and even the PC I have struggles a bitā€¦ 6K 60 / 40FPS then down to 4K 30FPS never 24ā€¦ so Iā€™m told, good few YouTubes about the EVO pro video settings and camera settings,

Cheers

1 Like

Thatā€™s simple! Make you waste battery charge so you need an extra battery for the download and hence buy more batteries.

The trouble with that t is it akes longer but you only get one life.

1 Like

Quick updateā€¦ just remembered, the EVO 1 does have DNG but not RAW, the 2 has RAW but no DNGā€¦ why, we have asked and no answerā€¦ and the RAW is apparently set very low on the scale and is difficult to matchā€¦ so Iā€™m toldā€¦
Added a couple of pics, yes you are right, very orange, hence too orange, so now not two orangeā€¦ ha-ha.
Downloading from the C connector is dead fast, but I use both, SD card and C, both seem to work for mineā€¦ might be the way you formatted the card initiallyā€¦

So that wonā€™t be the problem, then. :wink:

DNG is a RAW format developed by Adobe, some camera manufacturers use it some donā€™t.

.RAW files contain the same pixel data but are larger and metadata is stored on a separate file.

Also think thereā€™s no camera profile stored on the file like a DNG.

Itā€™s the same data though so as long as your editor has camera RAW profile it should be the same editing.

2 Likes

For the RAW, I saw on a good YouTubeā€¦ ā€œit was flatā€ ?? not being an expert, he wasā€¦ said stuck to JPG as the quality from the 6K camera was excellent and more than adequate for post doingsā€¦ and things we like to doā€¦ his all looked very good.
Iā€™ll try find the Video but looked at so many my mind is a blurā€¦ I have just been sticking everything to Auto and tried a few manual settings but they turned out to be the same as Autoā€¦ :smile: going to try a few night shotsā€¦ I will use manual for that, and try RAW, but I donā€™t think RAW works on my editors as tried it once before, had to download some intermediate bit of software to open it firstā€¦ will see.
Anyway pingspike, well done on your maiden voyage, itā€™s a big drone and quite scary the first timeā€¦ it is loudā€™ish, but quieter than the 1, but has a deeper note, I guess the dB is about the sameā€¦

Cheers
Why no video on my last post at the bottomā€¦? Iā€™m not keen on this Blog Page thingā€¦ to complicated, never know where my post will end upā€¦ give me a tricky drone to sort anytimeā€¦ ha-ha

JPG has been ā€œprocessedā€ ā€¦ in a way that the manufacturer sees fit ready to be published. Even worse, itā€™s also compressed and detail will be lost ā€¦ for ever!

RAW/DNG/RW2 (etc) contains far more information and, of course, it will look different. But you have all the data that the camera actually captured and that the processed jpg was built from, ready for you to process in your own preferred way.

1 Like

It will look flat and a mess unprocessed.

Itā€™s unprocessed data with no lens correction, sharpness etc applied.

The point is to extract all the detail possible from the sensor so you can process it later rather than have the camera do it there and then.

A camera processed jpeg might be good enough if you nailed the settings when taking it. If you decide you want to pull more detail from the shadows you might struggle as most of that sensor data was lost when the camera processed to JPEG.

Iā€™d recommend always saving Jpeg + RAW.

You might not want to work with the RAW files now but you can then revisit them at a later date.

What editing software do you use?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a few software packages, Photoshop, Premier Pro, Lightroom, Luminar, Resolveā€¦ ha-haā€¦ normally play around with them to see which one I can remember how to use, often Photoshop but so bloody complicatedā€¦ but I can normally knock something out if neededā€¦
I will have a play again with RAW as I understand about the formatting and RAW is good, my understanding was that you are right it is based on some Adobe format, but has a scale of where it sits compared to say a JPEG, when opened from the EVO file it is sitting right down the bottom end of that scale and hard to pull it back up to where it should be, now this is something to do with Autel and how they save it rather than the actual RAW formatā€¦ apparently, they need to sort itā€¦ but to be honest Iā€™m not trying to win prizes so just getting a pretty good photo is fine, iā€™d rather be out flying than at the PC post processingā€¦ Now video is a bit different, I like to try and get the Optimum out but again, using YouTube for the finished article is there much point in spending hours sorting it, I can get it up to 5K on there but find 4K , full screen, with a good FPS comes out best, so I never quite understand these comparison videos as it is so subjective, your screen, how you set it up, has your PC even got 4K etc. etcā€¦

OK, will have another go at RAW and report backā€¦ Cheers

Post up a DL link to one of your .RAW images.
Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a few people here who would like a play and might have some tips on getting the best out of it.

1 Like

Itā€™s almost as if they were listeningā€¦

No sooner had I posted that and a firmware update appeared:

:+1:t2:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just installed it but unfortunately without the updated APP, 1.1.6.0 ā€œnot released yetā€ you wonā€™t be able to use any of the firmware updatesā€¦ this is typical of Autel, I think the Firmware is sorted in the USA and the APP in China, eventually they meetā€¦
Firmware loaded fine, but should then tell you to load latest APP if availableā€¦ itā€™s not.

Been here before with last update, could be a week, a dayā€¦ a monthā€¦

I have downloaded the latest firmware 2.3.0. but the APP to get the functionality has not been updated since 1.1.5.3ā€¦ when will this be availableā€¦ ?

ā€œVery soon. Beta versions should be going out soon. I donā€™t have a more specific date than that at this time.ā€
Regards,
David Webster
Customer Support Lead
AUTEL ROBOTICS

thanks rich, interesting read, will be staying with mavic 2 pro at the moment then,

1 Like

Empire Drone Co have partnered with GPC to produce this:

Must.

Not.

Lookā€¦

:see_no_evil:

2 Likes