Autel Evo II 2 leak - Now not a leak!

Great video, I did crack up when you mentioned Turns ‘‘Ugly’’ or Ugerly :joy: :joy: Brilliant. super annoying OA sensors though.

1 Like

If you didn’t hit the Sun, then we can take comfort in the fact that the OA works. :wink:

1 Like

Just call me Icarus… :sunglasses:

1 Like

But Icarus’ OA wasn’t working … that’s why he got so close that the wax melted. :wink:

1 Like

And neither was mine… But I just went the other way and kept stopping… :rofl:

Apparently I need to update my firmware too…

1 Like

Great job Ian! I thought you were very fair/balanced and I look forward to the imminent follow-up with, hopefully, the OA bug fixed. Your EVO footage looks exceptional and should get even better. FWIW, I get better/smoother video out of my EVO 1 when shooting in NTSC/30fps. I suspect that Autel didn’t devote much time to PAL in their rush to get a new drone out since only a tiny minority of their audience would use it. Hopefully that’s not still the case but it’s worth checking - especially the yaws.

1 Like

Amazon may have missed a decimal point on this one.

The mains charger retails at $78 on Autels web site:

It’s currently only £8.82 on Amazon:

Amazon are getting a nice stock of genuine Autel Evo accessories now.

Alas, they’re not all at the above bargain prices :rofl:

Out of interest, have people noticed the Obstacle Avoidance stays on in Ludicrous mode? When you switch into Ludicrous mode you get the pop up warning you it won’t work above 36 kmh, but the green OA indicator stays on, and you see it on screen when I come into land.
I had definitely switched to Ridiculous Mode and had just been flying back with the wind at 72 kmh

18:18 in this vid:

Hi Ian - isn’t there a separate setting for turning off the radar alerts?

Yep, I just had a few comments on this last video telling me “I clearly wasn’t in Ludicrous Mode as the OA was green”… Well, this latest video proves they still stay on in Ludicrous mode… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the best way to improve that orange sow is to put it back in the box and throw it behind the wardrobe.

:joy:

1 Like

The bells and whistles may stay on but the OA functionality should be off. I guess some pilots like to know about the obstacles in case they need to take manual avoiding action. Did you try flying into the side of your house? My guess is that you would have succeeded!

The EVO’s claimed Max Wind Speed Resistance is 39-46mph. Doesn’t that mean that the drone can only fly forward into headwinds below 46mph? Even so, the surprising thing in your wind test videos is not that the EVO slows down in the wind but how much slower it flies in comparison to the DJI drones.

That said, I’ve seen a report from a MA2 owner that his drone started to be pushed backwards when flying into 40mph+ winds according to telemetry readouts. So it might just be worth a further test pitting the EVO against your preferred DJI missile and sending them both out and back at the same time and in he same wind, just to make sure that the DJI does actually get home first.

I’ve also seen posts by MA2 owners disappointed that they couldn’t exceed the drone’s max rated speed even when flying with a strong helping wind. That’s apparently because DJI (and presumably all drone makers) use GPS braking to prevent their drones exceeding the European speed limit. So the speed freaks force ATTI mode so that GPS is disabled (good luck with that!).

It may do for the Evo, but doesn’t for the DJIs, as they usually have some reserve up their sleeve.

Yep; a side by side test is probably the only true fair test

Spot on, and it’s not just about the European speed limit. I specifically tested this in both the 4-way wind test and the Autel’s retest; flying home with the wind at max speed, including the Autel in standard mode. In all cases, the drone will not fly faster than the current mode’s max speed, so they defo limit the speed when flying with high winds… :+1:

2 Likes

I suspect that the EVO performed to specification in your wind tests but that the DJI drones apparently exceeded theirs. And Autel cover their backs by stating that max speeds can only be achieved at near sea level and in zero winds (not that your tests at 20m were very high above ground level).

Just had this email from Autel

Oh dear. More chip shortages.

Let’s hope no one needs a new controller/ drone replacement.

:grimacing:

Are Autel saying that the current models, including the newly introduced EVO Pro, are now EOL? That’s a smack in the face for buyers. If they can’t get spares they won’t be able to sell them on easily either. Why no comforting reassurance that Autel will buy back these products or trade them in? More info on the new chip would also be welcome, eg is it proven in drones?

Steve @speatuk I’ve moved your post over to this thread, rather than the Smart Controller thread as much like @evonne I too am reading this announcement as:

“The Evo II is now end of life (yes, in under a year of being available). We’re only making the Evo II v2 now.”

Dick move Autel :man_facepalming:t2:

:scream:

They only hired a new CEO, Randall Warnas, three days ago.

And this is the first thing he does? :man_facepalming:t2: