Batteries, Charging, Scenario and advice please

A tad long but stick with it.
There are similar questions on this forum around this subject but can I give a scenario and get the views of my learned fellow members.
I have 3 batteries all numbered, 1, 2, and 3. I always use batteries sequentially e.g 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc etc
I charge all batteries to full before going out and complete a flight with battery 2. I put battery 3 into the drone but am not able to fly.
I return home knowing that battery 2 requires charging, but knowing I hope to fly the next day, leave everything as-is.
The next day I am not able to fly so leave stuff again as-is.
Itā€™s a week till iā€™m able to fly but by this time batteries 1 and 3 have discharged to about 75% along with battery 2 still flat.
So, do I just charge batteries 3 and 1 (both 75%) back to full to allow me to fly sooner, get fully discharged and charge all together, 1, 2 and 3 or, charge 3 and 1 separately ?
I am aware that ā€œCyclesā€ are an important factor in battery life although Iā€™m not fully understanding if charging from 75% to full would count as a cycle and from what percentage would count as one.
Your views and advice would be helpful once again here folks.
Thank you
Mike

When I used to leave the drone in the car I always had one battery fully charged all the time, just in case. And always that same one battery.

Iā€™d then only charge the remaining batteries if I knew for certain Iā€™d be able to fly a few batteries worth of airtime on a given day.

This led me to having a single battery with a high charge count, a sacrificial battery almost, and a bunch of other batteries that were beautifully maintained.

That wonā€™t work for everyone but Iā€™m throwing it in to the mix for discussion :blush:

1 Like

I would definitely charge the fully used battery when I get home. Leaving batteries fully discharged can be detrimental to battery life and their ability to hold a charge. The other 2 batteries I would leave until I know Im going flying again.

So, so, so many times Iā€™ve hoped to get in a load of flying, charged all 4 batteries, and then never flown - that Iā€™ve given up (over the 6+ years Iā€™ve had my MP) worrying about which I do what with. And Iā€™ve never bothered checking the number of recharges on each. They all will give me very close to original flying time - and in the end thatā€™s all that I need to know.

And Iā€™ve never bothered checking the number of recharges on each.

To me, minimising the recycles would mean thereā€™s more chance of wanting to fly but the batteries wonā€™t be recharged in time. So - if Iā€™m going out to fly, I recharge them all.

They all will give me very close to original flying time

Sometimes I have recharged all 4 - gone to a field on a sunny day and just sat there timing a hover until it gets to critical - so as to check the available flight time of each. So that will be another recycle thatā€™s logged. :stuck_out_tongue:
Max flight time is the thing thatā€™s often the most important factor for me ā€¦ long range over the sea I want to know itā€™s going to bring the drone back. Using a battery Iā€™ve rarely used to keep recycles low is no use to me if I discover, during the flight, that itā€™s no longer giving anticipated flight time.

There is one slightly scuffed battery that tends to live in the drone and hence is the first to be recharged. But thatā€™s more because the other three have been wrapped and I want to keep the wrap un-scuffed. :man_shrugging:

The ā€œslightly scuffedā€ battery is 6 years 3 months old - the very first that I put in the MP when it arrived - and goodness knows how many flights/recycles itā€™s done around Europe.

1 Like

@PingSpike
I like the idea of a ā€˜sacrificialā€™ battery.
@SirGunner
Duly noted your comment and it makes sense to me.
@OzoneVibe

Havenā€™t we all done that.

Food for thought but again makes sense.

To sum up, Iā€™m over thinking this whole thingā€¦Move on and fly.

Thanks all

2 Likes

No, your not over thinking. If you are I used to do the same thingšŸ¤£.

All Iā€™m really ly conserned with now is either really hammering a battery down below 15 percent or so, or not charging a battery thatā€™s been discharged.

If Iā€™m going out Iā€™ll charge 4 or the 5 batteries for which ever drone, I might not use them all, but if I only take 3 and I need 4ā€¦ I wonā€™t be a happy bunnyšŸ˜‚

1 Like

Some how I have managed to acquire 9 batteries. Consequently they very rarely all get used. As my flying session very rarely end up using more that 2 batteries I come back with the rest still fully charged. They slowly discharge over the next few days. I do keep a record in each of the battery storage pockets of when that battery was charged and to what level.
There are regular periods when I am unable to fly so as a precaution I will have a charging session when all batteries are charged to 100%. This is usually at two month intervals.
I do keep a very close eye open for any ā€œbulgingā€ or unusual behavior.
To date I have had no issues. Some of the older batteries are now 5-6 years old I am not sure how old as I bought the whole rig second hand. Each battery is numbered and I am careful always to return it to its similarly numbered storage pocket. I never store a battery in the drone as they are always removed after a flight.
Flying Shroppie

1 Like