Batteries for Radio Controller

Im unsure, or in other words have not got a clue, i thought about digital as i beleive the signal goes furthur.

Would you go for the 7x or this one?

The black one is a beginner one. It’s cheap and good for starting out to see if you like the hobby. If you go further, it will be redundant quite quickly. All I can say really.

The Tarranis? Never had one. But I believe they were locking down the software. @DeanoG60 suggestion is a good one. The tx16s? I’d pick up a secondhand one if you can

I’ve ran a Taranis X9D for 3 or 4 years, with OPEN-TX, works perfect, does all I need it to, have mixture of quad and wing models configured, never had an issue with it.
OK there’s more fashionable radios out now but at the end of the day you need something that works and is reliable :+1:

The Radiomaster TX16S takes 2 x 18650 batteries (sold separately) and can be charged via USB once installed. It’s got a 4 in 1 module built in that gives you loads of flexibility if you want to buy a BNF off the shelf, it also has an expansion bay to allow you to put in a module such as Crossfire / Tracer / Express LRS that will get you longer distances.

I’m in the analogue camp but can foresee a time when I jump to digital.

Worth bearing in mind that you could get DJI goggles and use an analogue to digital converter reasonably cheaply (although you’d need a receiver module) which would allow you a foot in either camp.

To buy a DJI ready drone is roughly £80-£120 more over an analogue BNF for pretty much the same spec.

Got any links? All the ones I’ve seen are £300+

So would you think is better to go with my origonal thought of just sticking with trying to pick up a dji Fpv Drone, i know all the bells & Whistles make it expensive but its ready to go

Without the air unit and cam :laughing:

1 Like

£80-£120 “more”! A recent example would be the iFlight Nazgul5 v2 analogue at roughly £200 digital is closer to £300 (although stock of these are drying up due to the new model

2 Likes

Got ya, lol gunna say a DJI ready quad for £80-£120 damn take all my money! Lol

What would be the cost to get a fairly decent Anologe set up something thats going to be useable, i know the difference is once you have the goggles and radio, its mostly the drone you change or am i talking crap, the thing that attracts me to the dji is ease of use its all together in 1 kit, the thing that puts me off is its easy to break & its built in restrictions just like all or most Dji stuff, totaly winds me up messing about with settings when the nearest airport is 20 miles away,

Correct. Mostly the drone you change

Im talking crap ?

No. You are right :grin:

So will most or all anologe drones work with the same controllers and goggles, and is it digital that changes things

All analogue video works with all analogue goggles

1 Like

I think there’s a little confusion with the DJI.

There are 2 types of DJI.

There is the off the shelf DJI FPV drone that comes with everything you need for lots n lots of coin £1000+ and that’s only 1 battery. You will need/want more. And is extremely fragile when it comes to crashing.

Then there is the DJI Air unit and Vista these are DJI also that you can build into a self build or buy a bind and fly pre built version like an iFlight Nazgul 5 HD.

These types of quads are less likely to break in a crash and even if they do can be fixed fairly cheaply.

Goggles will set you back anywhere from £200-£350 for something halfway decent.

Controller will be around £130-£200

A reasonable 5 inch quad can be anywhere from £200 to £350.

It’s also worth thinking about a small 2.5 inch quad that falls under the 250g weight to allow you more flexibility, a Tinyhawk 2 Freestyle can be picked up for about £100.

All of the above can be done cheaper but I’d say that’s enough to get you through for a while and not regret your choices.

2 Likes

This sounds good, could you recomend a controller & Goggles to go with the tiny hawk & maybe anything else i should get, i think i need to just press the button and go for it.