Battery faulty?

@mpaull, I’m sorry for the late response.

I’m not up to speed on the in’s and out’s of the Inspire 2 batteries and the way DJI determine usable life. By the sounds of it, based on the deviation figures you’ve provided, you’ve been taking very good care of your batteries. Your experience sounds very similar to that of some of the FPV Drone owners who are now receiving messages in the telemetry that their batteries health is not optimum, even though they’ve seen no appreciable drop in performance. This leads me to believe that DJI have arbitrarily chosen a number of recharge cycles to determine what they believe to have an impact on performance, possibly to influence users to buy more batteries (?). One way to reset the BMS to stop the throttling is to perform a battery calibration. This is essentially slowly discharging the batteries down to 3Volt per cell. Letting them stand idle for 24HRS or so and then recharging them. The BMS will monitor the amount of charge to attain full capacity and update its charge table. DJI have actually documented this process in some of their manuals and service bulletins.

As for the ESC warnings… as you stated we have been suffering some very windy conditions lately. On your return journey you also said you were flying into the wind. I would say you were receiving these messages as the flight controller was expecting to register a ground speed within a particular range for the amount of power being used. The flight controller would not know you were flying in strong wind and would interpret the reduced forward velocity as being due to a loss of power delivery by the ESC’s and/or motors.

1 Like

I kept my Inspire 2 on the .500 which doesn’t throttle back.

Here’s a clip worth watching

1 Like

Hi NIdge, thank you very much for your thoughts and please don’t worry about your late response! What you say all makes sense and I’ll have a go at resetting the BMS in that battery pair and monitor them again.
Many thanks once again!

HI Njoro, that’s very interesting, thank you. I will try and revert to the old software. What DJI were thinking by introducing that feature beats me and I am very glad my I2 didn’t crash. Having read the comments under Mads TECH video I now understand what was going on when it recently kicked in. I had my heart in my mouth and in the moment couldn’t understand why it wasn’t coping with the wind and on max power wasn’t flying forward and losing altitude also din’t seem to help. Oh well. I am glad I found that out while practicing and not on a job!

I’ll say this, present company excluded, the introduction of that firmware was to “babysit muppets” that can’t think beyond toy level.

Reports of operators flying too fast and too far, only to find their £5000 in the air didn’t come back and then flagging Dji for faulty kit……:man_facepalming:

True Example, man flying his Inspire 2, according to him and with video evidence of his Inspire stopping and hovering over a creek, unresponsive to his commands.

The Inspire eventually lands amongst the rocks and into the brook, he posts the video on YouTube complaining and warning others that it’s unreliable.

The Operator didn’t have a clue when asked if he’d set RTH on low battery warning or did he have it on Hover… he was unable to answer…

Those are the type of people Dji has to update firmware for which has ruined Drones…

Never be amongst the first to update any Dji firmware because there’s always the chance you’ll cease being a Pilot to becoming an Operator…

Hi Nidge and Njoro - thank you very much once again for your tips and advice. I’ve downgraded to v500 but after half a day so far of trying to drain the pair of batts to 3v (I had the motors running w/o the props at idle) a message appreared “Batt temp too low. Warm the battery to at least 15 degrees celcius” and top left "Cannot take off’. However the app was telling me they’re at 20 degrees! I am in my kitchen and because my dear wife won’t let me turn the heating down I’m at about 20 degs in here.
It goes without saying the nice and patient service team at DJI didn’t have a clue (they never do!) so here I am AGAIN.

I should say this batt temp message came in v600 which bothered me so I downgraded and tried to continue draining the batteries.

I don’t want to bother but if either of you know what’s going on I’d love to hear about it. And thank you ONCE MORE!!!

Hi Njoro, yesterday while flying the dreaded ‘Propulsion output limit…’ message came back. However I had already, preflight, switched the firmware back to .500.
It looks like DJI have sneekily not allowed that part of the software to be reverted. I can’t believe they’d shoot their clients in the foot like this.

I’ve only ever had the “low battery temperature”warning once on a freezing January morning while taking a fly examination.

I have no idea why it would flag indoors in 20C temperature….:thinking:

Nothing new there…you don’t own it, you’re just the operator… :roll_eyes: