Beginner from Epsom

First off let me say hello to everyone in the Grey Arrow Drone Club.

My names Lee from Epsom, Surrey and I have been interested in flying drones for some time now and finally got around to buying myself a DJI Mavic Mini. Only performed a few test flights so far (In House and Back Garden) but I feel i’m ready to take to sky’s and expand my boundaries.

So far I am a little confused to where flying is allowed and would be grateful for some suggestions for places locally.

I read people fly at Epsom Downs, Oaks Park, Nonsuch Park but then you also read people saying you can’t fly in these places. A little guidance would be much appreciated and once out of lock down, it would be grate to meet up with like minded people.

Many Thanks

Lee Patterson.
Happy Flying and Stay Safe.

4 Likes

Welcome to the group Lee

Have a look at the members map for people around you or near :+1:

Welcome Lee

Also check out the Drone Scene map, login with your GADC details ;o)

https://dronescene.co.uk

1 Like

Wow - first flight indoors. Good work :slight_smile:

Thank you for the welcome and reply. I’ll check that out now. Many Thanks.

1 Like

Just check that website and bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Wife has now pushed me out in to the big wide world. Think she just got fed up with the noise :smile:. Time to take to the skies. Thanks you.

1 Like

We have good flying conditions for the next 48 hours roughly… Few gusts about now still but today it’s gonna drop rigt down to a slight puff and tomorrow too!

Have you seen the awesome App called UAV Forecast…? It has really up to date wind info for Drone pilots. Its an awesome resource. I use XCWeather.co.uk too. XC has been goimg for over twent years originally for paraglider pilots. Both XC and UAV Forecast use realtime observtions.

I’ll get sure to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Anytime!!

I’m a new drone pilot too, with a Mavic Mini. I have been flying RC aircraft since the early eighties though. This Lockdown is what prompted me to get back into radio control flying after putting all my helicopters, gliders and aerobatic planes in the loft in 2009.

Im a little bit disturbed that the whole smart tech surveilance and data harvesting has found its way into rc flying and ts taken me a few weeks to actually get my head around that idea - Facebook meets model flying :roll_eyes: :astonished: :flushed: :pleading_face:

welcome not to far from you altho working in suffolk at the moment

From one newbie to another, learn from others mistakes, fly to what you’re comfortable with, download UAV forecast, and don’t try and do a range test!
Oh, and enjoy! You’ll love it :wink:

Hi Scorps. Good to hear from someone local. Next time your in this neck of the woods let me know where your flying as it would be great to get some flying time in and pick the brains of a more experienced flyer. Take care. Thanks for the welcome.

Good afternoon lurch003. Thank you for the welcome and the good advice. All knowledge is welcomed right now. Thanks again.

Welcome lee enjoy your new hobby and the club it’s a great site

Thank you. I really need to get some flying hours in. I’ve navigated through a few posts here and it seems like everyone is helpful as well as knowledgeable.

Welcome Lee, there is lots of info on here, your in good hands.

Thank you. I’ve navigated the site and I would agree. Seems like a very friendly and knowledgeable community. Thank you for the welcome.

HI LEE

I was at epsom a few weeks ago for the jab. And did a drone flight over the race course.

If no racing on should be ok. And just stay away from nearby prisons.
Im also based Kenley

1 Like

Epsom here too. You still flying Lee?

1 Like