Beginner Wing Recommendations

Hey guys Ive been asked by a young lad who wants to get into wing flying for recommendations for a good beginner wing. I told him I know next to nothing about wings but I know exactly who to ask :grin:
He has a budget of around £100 all in but less if possible. He has a Tango 2 already.
Something thats crash resistant but still performs well would be ideal.
He has been looking at this but not sure if its suitable? Its £87 all in not including receiver.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome thanks

Just had a look at that myself - it is showing as out of stock.

So I went to my favourite Chinese tat-slinger:

1000mm span £120 PNP including carriage

Or

with camera £100. under 250 gram

There is more on site of course.

1 Like

I’ve just finished assembling this which has become popular at our club. It’s flown by 6-60+ year old’s, it’s very resilient and holds up well to crashing.

I paid £95 that’s with servos, ESC, motor and propeller.
If you do get it there’s a step in assembly that I did differently which made thing way easier, give me a shout if you buy it and need help.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations guys just to confirm, are these good options for a young lad starting out with wings?

The Zorro is…

1 Like

Not a clue! I just posted a couple of examples as Banggood is normally awash with videos and comments about their products so you can get a feel for what they are offering.

1 Like

Nice one appreciate it guys :slightly_smiling_face:

My opinion… FWIW…

Z84 Wing Wing
Great little wing, every YT video will tell you it’s an amazing flier and suitable, nay reccomended, for beginners. A couple of years back you could get the kit version for about £45 now it’s about £100 :scream: :rage:
@notveryprettyboy had one of these :+1:

C1 Chaser
This is a bigger version of the Z84 Wing Wing, same design just bigger.
I’m on my second and I actually love it, great looker when flying and flys very stable.
Only concern is with a decent size battery in it’s quite heavy and the fuselage section at the side of the battery bay is a bit thin and prone to cracking IF you crash it hard (about 100mph !!). I’ve just bought some GF cloth to strengthen the underneath on mine.
Suitable for beginner ?? from a flying point of view YES but if you crash it NO

Mobula Wing
Same wing sold under the Eachine and AtomRC brand
Lovely little wing but has earned a reputation from the earlier reviewers for being difficult to actually get in the air. I’ve got one, I’ve corrected the ‘factory mistake’ motor angle with a 3D printed mount, moved it to 4S from 3S and the first attempt with INAV autolaunch saw it climb straight into the sky perfectly.
Suitable for beginner ?? with help from an experienced flier YES as a virgin probably NO

AR Wing PRO
Well proven wing, flies smoothly, loads of advice on YT, repairable if you crash it, even has spare sections available from Banggood
@notveryprettyboy has one
Suitable for beginner ?? YES

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed info as always Steve :+1:t2: I will pass it on to the young lad along with everyone elses suggestions. That z84 wing wing looks like it might be a good option. Thanks everyone for the recommendations :slightly_smiling_face:

Whichever aircraft you are considering, first check its reviews on Youtube for feedback from people with hands-on experience. These are also useful for learning how to fly it.
(From Youtube I learned many things about flying my E58 which were not in the handbook.)

1 Like

@Steviegeek he has gone for the z84. He said thanks for the advice to everyone. What kind of electronics package would suit this wing? He has a Tango 2 controller but nothing else yet.

1 Like

Its a fun wing to fly. Steve will tell you the kit. But he’ll need an fc

1 Like

Ah cool cheers Karl, whats the fc for? Is that for osd? Or other things as well?

stabilised flight, auto-launch, return to home, loiter (parking in a circular holding pattern, OSD for those speed runs :laughing:

1 Like

OK, let’s start with the radio link, as he has a TANGO 2 then obvious choice is a TBS Nano receiver,
I don’t suppose we are looking at long range flying here so I suggest a basic single antenna RX, get the SE version for a proper antenna thrown in cheap.

Motor suggestions are 2205 or 2208, both of these will give it a good turn of speed, choose your KV depending on battery choice 3S or 4S (2500)

Planes always used to use basic ‘standard’ protocol ESC’s but these days and certainly for a wing this size, he’d be better with a ‘quad’ ESC, BLHeli32, 25A/30A. This gives the option for configuring the braking, ramp up parameters etc.

Any cheap servo’s will do, cavity size in the wing suits the Tower PRO 9gm, test them out well before fitting just in case you get a duff one.

For a wing any F4, F7 flight controller will do as a wing is not as demanding as a quad.
This is a good choice, Matek F405-WSE Wing , as it has a strong BEC on board for powering the servos also power distribution pads for the ESC/motor. run it on INAV for a plane, even @notveryprettyboy agrees :smile:

Best to add a GPS for RTH etc. a best buy at the moment is the TBS M8-2.

This will get it in the air. FPV gear depends on the choice of analogue or digital.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Steve

https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/emax-freestyle-2208-2500kv-motor

1 Like

@Steviegeek Really useful info thanks Steve :+1:t2: I will pass it on thanks. I know he was trying to keep the cost as low as he could, is it essential to have fc, gps with auto launch etc or could he go full manual? Im guessing as a beginner the auto functions would probably be advisable even if not essential.

Yes, would rely on his piloting skills though

Exactly :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

“Yes”

It’s the best thing he could do as a newbie to learn flying fixed wing aircraft.

He could join a local club and learn, then progress from there.

I’m saying this only from an instructor and trainer point of view, in manual fixed wing and helicopters.

Ultimately it’s his decision depending on what he wants to achieve.

1 Like

Thinking of getting wing …
Any critic on the shopping list ?

To Buy Flying Wing Z-84 Z84 EPO 845mm
To Buy 32.98£ 8% OFF|Epo Flying Wing | Wing Aircraft | Z84 Rc Plane | Z84 Wingwing | Rc Airplane - Z-84 Z84 845mm - Aliexpress £44.52
To Buy Uhu Por
To Buy https://www.amazon.co.uk/UHU-3-63176-50-Por-Adhesive/dp/B004GHJ9NW £8.00
To Buy SpeedyBee F405 WING Flight Controller
To Buy SpeedyBee F405 WING Flight Controller | HobbyRC UK £35.90
To Buy Buzzer and GPS power-up)
To Buy VIFLY GPS-Mate | HobbyRC UK £8.70
To Buy GPS Module
To Buy TBS M8.2 GPS Module | HobbyRC UK 83 £12.90
To Buy ELRS Reciever £13.80
To Buy Jumper AION Mini ELRS Receiver | HobbyRC UK
To Note Flywoo EL24P ELRS Receiver w/ Antenna | HobbyRC UK - How to Mount/Position Transmitter and Receiver Antenna on FPV Drone - Oscar Liang
To Buy Battery 3S XT60
To Buy GNB 1550mAh 3S 60C LiHV Battery (XT60) | HobbyRC UK £15.50
Done Video - Using OpenHD (Already have this set-up)
Done PI 2 Zero (£17) (already had) £17.00
Done ZeroCam NOIR - Camera for Raspberry Pi Zero (£15) (already had) £15.00
Done Realtek RTL8812AU USB Dual-band 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wireless Dongle Adapter 1200mbps (£17) £21.00
Done 8GB microSDHC (£4) £4.00

Z84 WingWing
Reinforce the elevons with a carbon spar otherwise they can’t handle the air pressure at high speeds. But it is a good easy flier