Bernera Barracks, Glenelg, Lochalsh - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

A trek to visit the area, but definitely worthwhile, turn off the Skye road at Shiel Bridge and travel over the Ratagan Pass to Glenelg, where the barracks are located. Free car parking at the Community Centre - also great soup and sandwiches and cake and tea / coffee too, plus a free loo - then walk the short distance to the Barracks. No internal access and can only be viewed from 2 sides, but plenty of scope to fly. Watch out for the connifers to the right…

Apologies for the somewhat bumpy footage in places, although it looks warm and sunny, it was about 5C and blowing a gale, so when flying over the barracks I was buffeted by the wind rising over the walls - thats my excuse and I am sticking to it :slight_smile:

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 24/04/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

20 more for …

Lol, its not impossible that the footage from last week will get me there… Assuming I can edit it all into something useable :slight_smile:

I want to fly here @AlbionDrones, have you got any other tips or advice?

1 Like

Park up at the visitor centre / cafe - good toasties and coffee plus free toilets - and its only a short walk to the barracks on the road opposite, down the side of the pine plantation and past the cottage. The barracks are not accessible, they are unsafe to wander around, but you can fly from outside the fence and still maintain good VLOS… Watch out for the electricity cables and the trees!

1 Like