Best photo editing software

I found it depends on your system, DaVinci is quite GPU hungry, easier to run editors like Premier Pro or Filmora might be better for you or even windows movie maker.

I was using Luminar 4 too, however upgraded to AI though not sure how it’s different to 4, so probably wasted money. I do find the Luminar software easy to use and it’s great when editing raw.

1 Like

I’m using Luminar Ai love it

I “acquired” LAI the other day. Not tried it yet.

1 Like

How are you getting on with affinity?

I’m on Corel paintshop pro and aftershot, but aftershot won’t open DJI dng pics so considering changing, but dislike monthly fees!!!

There’s a blast from the past, I last used that on win 3.1 I didn’t realise it was still on the go

1 Like

Yeah still going, they’re always on offer and can be bought for appx £50. I’m on the 2020 version but feel that it’s not the best for quick raw editing. So before I invest too much time learning it, I want to see what others recommend that isn’t pay monthly!!

Thought I’d try it yesterday, couldn’t immediately see a means of changing a colour to transparency, help system wouldn’t accept colour as a search term but only took color Then it had no info about colour to alpha anyway so I shut it down and did what I wanted in GIMP.

GIMP does what I want, I have invested time over the years in learning the basics and it’s cross-platform so I can use it on both my Windoze and Linux machines.

Why change?

2 Likes

Having just changed to davinci from video studio and loving davinci I want to ensure I spend time learning the right thing to produce the best results

Would you recommend GIMP?

I use corel draw 2019 pretty much daily :+1: great program. :smiley:

For free there is no better,

If you know your way round photoshop it’s a very easy learning curve

1 Like

You haven’t got to share all your secrets with us Rob.

:grin:

1 Like

On the contrary baby cakes - if you’ve got it - flaunt it! :nerd_face:

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Does anyone use Corel aftershot? Have you found a way to get it to work with DJI dng files?

Hi I use Photoshop, Lightroom and Affinity Pro, all have there good points.

At the risk of yet more jibes from Finbar Saunders and his double entendres I’m also a GIMP user. Used it back in the day of SunOS, then Linux, and now Windows 10.

For quick edits on the fly I use SnapSpeed on iOS and Android.

2 Likes

Has anyone used Darktable as an alternative to Lightroom? Trying to find other softwares which aren’t adobe based to avoid those Monthly fees…

I’ve just downloaded 5 different alternatives to play with including darktable.

Release 4.1.7 · ktgw0316/LightZone · GitHub
PhotoScape X - Free Photo Editor for Mac and Windows 10
RawTherapee - Home
GIMP - Downloads
I will have to have a good play with them but early impressions don’t seem to bad.

Just out of interest, what software do people prefer for photo editing?

Personally I use Luminar Neo; being a bit of a novice I find it so easy to use!

Also, do you have an idea of what you want to achieve or, like me, do you just play around with various tools to see what happens!