Best photo editing software

What do people recommend to edit photos and why??

Me I use Luminar 4 and photoshop … Luminar is the easiest thing I’ve ever used to edit with

1 Like

Which platform / operating system?

Photoshop for me, been using it 30 years.

Depends what you want, luminar is ok, adds some nice effects with no effort, but the insistence on using ‘libraries’ is not for me (same with Lightroom).

There are some great lightweight freebies out there nowadays

Any … I’m on a iMac but can run windows

using Photoshop more and more Learning how to use it via YouTube videos it’s coming slowly

1 Like

GIMP on both Linux and Windows. It is also available for Mac - GIMP - Downloads

GIMP for macOS

Note: the currently available package provides GIMP 2.10.14 and has not yet updated to the latest version, GIMP 2.10.20. We’re working on that, please check back later.

Download GIMP 2.10.14
via BitTorrent
Download GIMP 2.10.14
directly

The download links above will attempt to download GIMP from one of our trusted mirror servers. If the mirrors do not work or you would rather download directly from our server, you can get the direct download here.

Supported OS: macOS 10.9 Mavericks or over

Since the 2.8.2 version, GIMP runs on OSX natively. No X11 environment is required.

GIMP is a well-known, user-supported software - i.e. “Free” - and has a wide user base, plenty of discussion groups and several worthwhie third party add0ons

2 Likes

Have a look at Affinity, it’s a lot cheaper than Photoshop and has free updates.

1 Like

Gimp is ok I ran it on an older MacBook when it didn’t have the grunt to run PS

1 Like

Just started a 90 day free trial of Affinity and after a few hours in its becoming easier! good tutorials as well and to buy it is only £23.99… worth a look…

Would you say Affinity is better than Lightroom … does it take much to learn??

Totally new to photo editing, never used lightroom and didn’t like the fact it’s £10 quid a month. Try Affinity it’s a free trial.

2 Likes

Will give it a blast thanks

Let me know what you think compared to Lightroom

1 Like

Photoshop & Lightroom combo gives quality results IMO.
I trial’d Luminar but found it introduced too much noise into the images due to the heavy processing. I thought the sky replacement was a bit of fun but you can tell when it’s been used. A lot of images you see that are heavily processed are ok on a computer/phone screen but you couldn’t print them at 300 dpi.

1 Like

I have just downloaded affinity on the 90 day trial. I did so with some misgivings as I read the comprehensive specs page for Affinity Photo and got to the bottom.

There was the logo for Serif.

Long-term software users may remember Serif as I do - constantly nagging you to try something else and, once hey had your credit card details eager to sell you upgrades - and not shy about charging for them. They had a fairly aggressive telephone sales team shilling upgrades, bundles and other Serif products.

From the brief introductory video I looked at it seems to be similar to GIMP in scope and usage but somewhat more refined. Time will tell

2 Likes

My experience with software other than Adobe is that it tends to be slooooow. Lightroom is instant open and instant adjust for me.

1 Like

Just make em all black and white like I do. It’s either that or add lots of green or is that yellow?

2 Likes

Grellow! :+1:

2 Likes

Hahaha :+1:

What’s the best software for grading video…? Quickly and easily…

Oh, on a pc.

Ok I’ve just searched thrugh previous threads. DaVinci resolve it seems

2 Likes