Big Weekend Drone seizure

West Mids Police drone unit are at the Radio 1 big weekend in Coventry. The site of which is within the Coventry FRZ.

Just seen this posted on Twitter clearly got a full house with this chap.

11 Likes

The guy will get off quite easily if the police fail to spell ā€œdroneā€ correctly on ALL their related paperwork, though. :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

Hopefully nobody on here coughs that itā€™s them!

1 Like

Is the A2 CofC relevant.

1 Like

Are the police flying in the FRZ then?

The problem is bigger than youā€™d think, still people are oblivious to the regulations and despite all the information shoved at us through the internet, people will still fly around and ignore everything. Wonder if the operator will be broadcast for everyone to see or is this just another media stunt and nobody has had it seized?

4 Likes

I noticed the other day that they had posted loads of ā€˜No Dronesā€™ signs around the site

ā€¦ my assumption (as there was no crowds at the time) that other then the FRZ from Coventry Airport, the signs had no legitimacy? (Iā€™m not trying to excuse the idiot whoā€™s equipment has been seized)!

I also notice that the drone assist app does not list any notice about fireworks (which will take place at the end of the concert), but at the local Ricoh Arena, there is a notice relating to the ā€œKillersā€ concert tonight.
You might think that as the Radio One event is inside the FRZ itā€™s not requiredā€¦. but when they had the big drone display a couple of weeks ago, there was a big blue circle there.

It all seems a bit inconsistent

2 Likes

What more do you want

2 Likes

Got to love a auto correct :rofl:

1 Like

I suspect because its an Air 2 so to fly it there regardless of the FRZ or the R1 event would have required an A2CofC.

Police would have permission, they have also previously tweeted that all applications for permission have been forwarded to them for this area/event.

If an event with official drone cameras, or a drone display event is taking place, I can see they would want to exclude private drones.

Would possible interference between both control and drone transmitters be a problem anyway ?

2 Likes

Club member gatherings have had MANY drones in the air at the same time without problem. Gone are the coloured ribbons on the aerials of analogue days. Controllers and drone are paired, digitally.

5 Likes

1 Answerā€¦Bring back the Death sentenceā€¦ :laughing:
Only kiddingā€¦just cut their Hands off

That Poster does not state who is giving the order stopping people from flying Dronesā€¦Could be anyone,with no say at all. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Ahh! The good ole days of pegs with ribands on and 27Mhz

And CB radios :see_no_evil:

10-4 Gud Budgie.

1 Like

Must have been about 1978-1979-1980. Not sure.
I remember being sat in the car about 100 yards away from a model aircraft club/field with my dad. We were watching the guys fly. Amazing.

Dad then spoke to someone on his Elbex 80 (cb radio)

Then immediately all these model aircraft started falling out of the sky. Dad stopped talking immediately and they managed to gain control.
He looked at me with a cheeky grin and keyed the mike again. Yet again all the aircraft started to fall.

He released the Mike and said I think we should go before we get mobbed.

I know it was wrong and could have caused so much damage and destroyed all the aircraft. But at the time is was very funny. :see_no_evil:

I thought straight away, these aircraft should be on a secure frequency.

2 Likes