Bird Attack - Pensford Viaduct

Hi Everyone, was flying at Pensford viaduct yesterday and had my first drone attack. Anyone know the type of bird? and good tips for staying safe? Luckily I saw the bird and landed straightaway.

5 Likes

Peregrine?

It looks a bit like a “hobby” although they are apparently only common in the summer.

If not that, then I’d say yeah a peregrine falcon.

From what I’ve seen elsewhere, and what I’ve always done if birds seem to be heading for my drone, best bet is to fly straight up at top speed. Birds, especially predators can dive very quickly, so trying to land may not save your drone, but they can’t climb anywhere near as fast.

I would say Peregrine by looking at the markings.

Good advice, luckily I went straight down and landed.

I think thats what most think.

It looks like a peregrine to me, I have flown there without a problem. Agree flying up is best with a falcon, then land behind it!

This is what I’ve done to my drone. Apparently works with most birds excluding magpies. It’s red reflective tape easily purchased from Amazon.

1 Like

As Darren says, reflective or flourescent stripes seem to deter them in my experience

1 Like

That is without a doubt a peregrine falcon and they are only attacking as see the drone as food.

As others have said best advice it go up at a possible attack and everything should be good.

As for the pictures they are really nice and I love to see them and glad you got the drone home safe

Thank you for the advice. :+1:

Thanks for the tip

Drone is safe and will take note of all the advice. If you want to see the bird just before the attack, watch the YouTube video around 18 secs in. :+1:

4 Likes

Cracking video John, great footage, good edit and relaxing music, well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words Suzanne. As you know I’m new to drones and learning every day. I took the time to watch a lot of your videos on your channel to pick up ideas and content. Hopefully mine will improve with time. :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment, if we can inspire others then it has been worthwhile, even though I still consider myself a long was from mastering the arte…
For someone new to drones you did a great job, your confidence and skills will grow with eveyr flight, just keep getting out there as much as you can and you will be surprised just how quickly you will get there :slight_smile:

The peregrine is world’s fastest bird! They can reach 200mph (320kph) in a dive!
Best to climb.

I will next time. :+1:

I would also say it’s deffo a peregrine. My favourite bird and marvellous creatures. I had one above me while at the Caterthun hill forts a couple weeks back, my mini 2 was hovering a couple hundred feet above the ground when I noticed the peregrine straight above and climbing. Brought the drone down straight away and waited till it was all clear. Wasn’t so concerned about the drone, but if the peregrine got injured by the props then its hunting days would sadly be over.