Bird attack

A bird strike crashed caused my DJI Mini 2 to crash. The birds were circling the drone for about 1 minute, then I suddenly and massively increased altitude, and they didn’t follow. I was bringing the drone back to land and the flock collided with it, causing a loss of control. :frowning: I don’t know what type of birds they were.

So don’t ignore the warning signs…

1 Like

Was just returning from a mapping mission and was descending to land when I noticed a large Buzzard making a bee-line for my Mini 2 - this is the ensuing evasive action !!
It was definitely foxed by flipping to sport mode and going up, but it tried to keep up with me until I’d reached a lower level :fearful:

1 Like

Video or it didn’t happen :wink:

Alas … no video :frowning:

However, would a pair of stained pants do instead ? :laughing:

1 Like

Buzzards, and the like, have chicks atm, and they’ll go extreme measures to protect their offspring.

That area looks like prime buzzard real-estate.

I’ve even seen buzzards try and take out a hang-glider. Ripped large gashes in the fabric on the top surface with their beak/talons.

1 Like

I really does sound like it :scream::joy:

Probably the biggest hazard for a drone being knocked out of clear airspace at this time of year is bird strike. I’ve had a few close calls, mainly with the mini 2. They seem to be a bit more wary once the drone gets bigger than that.

Close to objects like bridges where a lot of birds like pigeons, seagulls etc. nest in, whole flocks can take flight when disturbed by a drone and go right into its flight path. I’ve had to cancel quick shots and climb the mini 2 straight up a few times when that’s happened.

But nothing, absolutely nothing prepared me for how relentlessly aggressive the Dutch seagulls can be.

I live in a rural area so I placed this image on the top of my Mavic.

My hope is that because birds and cats are not the best of friends this may deter any birds of prey.

1 Like

Flew at Chelmsford Cathedral last summer and once at height over the spire it was like every damn poigeon in Essex decided it wanted a piece. they came from everywhere. the guttering, the eves, the trees. Everywhere.

You reckon a seagull has the slightest idea of what a tiger is, or looks like?

I doubt it but I hope he’ll recognise fangs.

Do you reckon I might have a case under copyright law?

1 Like

I’ve had birds come close a couple of times but never that close where the drone was in danger. Each time I quickly switched to sports mode and went straight up and took a long route back to where I was.

Seagulls, always poxy seagulls. The joy of living by the seaside. Not to mention we got gulls nesting nearby annually so they go mad at anything that flies (or walks)

Dont know about a tiger but I put eagle eyes and a fangy smile on my mini 2 in an attempt to deter the seagulls at my local park. Probably a placebo effect but didn’t have a problem after. Not got anything on my mini 3 pro and the local bleeders are back again buzzing it! :scream:

I was quite surprised in Nassau that the gulls were scared of the drone. Didn’t have one issue.

When flying along the coast I’ve learnt to go vertical straight after after take off to around 180 feet then straight out. Thankfully not had a bird encounter since.