Bit of holiday droning in Cornwall

Many of you have been very kind about this vid, but it was one of my very first goes at editing and is far from perfect. I’ve been replying to @SkyJumper on another thread about what I learned when I started:

In the interest of helping any budding drone movie editors here out, and because as the author of this video I can come back and ruthlessly critique my own work… here’s what I think I got wrong on this one.

1. The music / video cuts aren’t perfectly synced. This annoys me now :slight_smile: you’ll find it’s the little things that jar subconsciously that will detract from a video in the end.

2. I’m clearly panning right along the coast towards some big reveal at the end. But my intro shots pan left in the opposite direction. I’d never do that now as I’ve learned from it.

3. When cutting from the wide angle pan of cliffs to close ups then back again, apart from direction, i just cut back to same point I left in the pan cutaway. I’ve since learned the human brain knows your moving in clip 1 so if you cut away then back, the brain expects you to have moved on a bit more, not to cut back to where you left clip 1. I now cut back further along in time so give impression of progress while the cut away took place.

4. Don’t look at your drone while panning around yourself, unless it’s an intentional dronie :wink:

Have fun guys! Just find out what works for you and learn from bits you didn’t like in your early work!

1 Like