Blender - An OpenSource 3D Modelling Tool

Evening folks!

Following on my the combination of my adventures in 3D drone mapping, then 3D printing etc…

I thought I’d highlight another great tool some of you might enjoy… Blender.

Blender is a free 3D modelling tool that can be used for drone mapping. Basically you can use something like Pix4D Capture to fly a mission and take lots of photos, then use Pix4D Cloud service or Open Drone Map (see link above) to compute all those photos into a map, point cloud, and 3D model. Then… you can use Blender to edit that 3D model and use its add-on www.blend4web.com to export the 3D into a single HTML web page which you can upload somewhere and then share with your clients.

Check out this one I made today, give it a chance to load its quite big! Use your mouse to move around and zoom etc.

http://www.digitalfauna.uk/blend/Moorcourt%20Farm.html

I made the above by basically doing the following steps:

• Fly a mission using Pix4D capture app connected to drone.

• Install Open Drone Map on laptop and upload and process the photos from mission.

• Take the output files from Open Drone Map once processed and load into blender (ODM outputs a .obj file which you can load into GIS, 3D printer software or blender in my case)

• Open Blender, install the blend4web add-on and then export the .obj file as a .html single web file.

Et voila! Your 3D drone map is online and ready to view!

I’ll have to work on getting file sizes down to something manageable!

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Wow, that is very impressive. I like it.

1 Like

At what height was the drone flown for this project?

1 Like

120m -Max altitude. Took 22 mins flight time.

1 Like

As a 3D artist, I am familiar with Blender - however this is the first time that I have seen it being used for something like this.

That is quite simply stunning - a fine piece of work indeed!!

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s certainly not the most intuitive of tools but pretty powerful! I’m hardly scratching the surface I think!!!

2 Likes