Bloody weather! ... and flyability

Wanted an IP rated sub 250g drone. Pipe dream? :rofl:

‘Interesting’ couple of flights this evening at Fleetwood - GPS reporting 7kph into the wind, 78kph flying downwind, with no change in throttle or pitch angle :flushed: Quite bumpy too so no low flying attempted.

Landing after the first flight was also a bit fraught, with three groups of dogwalkers appearing and converging on the exact area I wanted to land in - fortunately they moved on but I still landed* with the 4S battery showing only 9.5V :frowning:
*Where ‘landed’='drone cut out at 1m altitude on approach :frowning:

And then it started raining - fortunately just after I landed on the 2nd flight

Eachine X220S with DJI Air Unit

3 Likes

Holy moly that’s seriously low! :grimacing: I’m sure someone said that if the cell voltage goes below 3V per cell it’s pretty much certain to have ruined the battery. Can’t remember who said it now but tagged @group-fpv

Looks like you got some great shots though :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

you really shouldnt go below like 3.6v per cell and you should certainly not leave them at that for a period of time, 3.8v per cell is the most stable storage charge if you want the maximum amount of cycles.

1 Like

Totally agree and I tend to come in no lower that 3.5V if I can help it. What I’m saying is even a well looked after battery can be permanently damaged and potentially dangerous to recharge if it goes below 3V per cell even once if that makes sense? Martins battery went down to 9.5 (around 2.4 per cell) :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah I always land on 3.5v average and that seems to leave me at 3.8v after the sag wears off. Totally get what you mean, going all the way down that low once is a very fast way to destroy a battery…going below 3.5v once or twice wont do any harm as long as you dont leave it like that and bring it back up to storage charge…or do it all the time.

1 Like

It showed 13.8V when I put it on for a storage charge as soon as I got home, so hopefully not permanently damaged - though as one of the oldest batteries I possess it’s probably due for replacement soon anyway

2 Likes

Sounds like its sagging a lot, might not fly on that battery if you can help it.

1 Like

I tried Bangor today - too windy :-1:
Then Belfast - low cloudy/heavy drizzle :-1:
Finally Antrim, where I was hoping for some shots at Lough Neagh - even more windy than Bangor :-1:

Gave up in the end :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yesterday compressed into 2 and a half minutes - definitely not good to fly :frowning:

3 Likes

Moist in London this morning …

Cleaned the streets 'up the smoke ’ if niffink else

Depends how much shit comes up from the sewers as they overflow.

Nah, still cleaner than last time I was there.

1 Like

BLOODY FKKING TOSSING SHITTING BRITISH WEATHER.

Off to Hadrien’s Wall on Saturday for a week of photography and flying!
Well off to Carlisle for a week of dodging the fking rain and the occasional snap using the GoPro in the rain.

1 Like

Rain and Hadrian’s Wall -par for the course

Over the heather the wet wind blows
I’ve lice in my tunic
And a cold in my nose
The rain comes falling out of the sky
I’m a soldier on the wall
I don’t know why

3 Likes

Had roof repairs postponed due drizzle this morning,.,…now its looking like sunshine coming up…sods law in operation…

And when it’s not raining, it’s looking very windy later in the week!

2 Likes

Took the opportunity of a brief window in the weather yesterday and managed to get one flight in

OK, so it was dark…

Caddx Polar camera still gave enough of an image to be able to land safely though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ll just leave this here, Martin …