Bloody weather! ... and flyability

At the time of that storm I was living in a flat near Heathrow, and the flat was on the 2nd/top floor over the drive-thru to the carpark.

The flat was shaking so much that I (and my dog) moved out to sleep in the car.

The next morning when I returned to my flat there was a HUGE crack right across one of the walls.

Oh - and the top wind speed recorded in that storm was 120mph.

I was working overnight in a bank computer department - left around 4am and new nothing of it - hadn’t heard a thing as all sound proofed.

That was a very scary and weird drive home for the 20 odd miles from Brentwood to Rayleigh with hardly anyone around but a load of trees and wood on the road!

I really didn’t know what was going on as the wind had died down…

1 Like

Showing my age here… The day after that storm I had the day off school :blush:

My dad dragged me round all the builders and roofing merchants in south London looking for some ridge tiles to match the ones we lost :house:

Was that the same storm that injured Gorden Kaye? :thinking:

Yup.

Edit…

Errr … Nope.

Jan 25, 1990.

1 Like

From memory that was an estate agents board - but a different storm.

I noticed that the Met office has today updated its website as to what to expect!

How’s the weather southern peeps?

Very calm, very still, here in the north west currently. Nothing happening at all yet.

1 Like

Not even big coat in the East Riding

1 Like

Still incoming …

1 Like

11am

12pm

How well does that match the real world outside right now? Anything to write home about? :thinking:

Close, for Southampton.

Matches my weather station …

77mph gusts reported on Scilly Isles.

2 Likes

Honestly, absolutely blowing a hooley and if this is the start of it I’m dreaded later. Being the corner plot we get battered at the best of times by the weather. Time will tell. :pray:

Quick one out the bedroom window

3 Likes

Good quality (live) webcam for your viewing pleasure

from

2 Likes

Looks like between 10 and 11 am is the strongest wind now for the South West, after that it subsides.

Picking up at the airport …

Absolutely still here on the Fylde - off out with the Mini2 in a minute to monitor progress on demolition of a local pub :slight_smile:

1 Like

True of many places … and this is GUSTS …

“Average Wind” much less …