Bosham Quay, West Sussex - Added to Coastal Scenery in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Bosham Quay is a popular and crowded tourist attraction on the West Sussex / Hampshire border. Chidham is a quiet area facing Bosham Quay across the Bosham Channel. The marine activity at Bosham can be captured from Chidham without needing to fly more than 500m from your home point.

Park at the Cobnor Farm Amenity Car Park and walk 600m east along the footpath to the bank overlooking the water. Head north on the footpath and pick a spot to fly from. If the tide is on the flood you can engage in the local sport of deciding which car parked on the foreshore will be claimed by the sea while the owner(s) over stay in the pub.

In the summer there is a great deal of boating activity that can be observed and, when you have used up all your batteries, you can visit The Old House at Home for a pint or a meal.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 16/09/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

7 Likes

Thank you @macspite for adding to the DroneScene map

Hi @macspite I am going to Bosham at the end of this month, and intend to fly both my mini 2 and pro. I did a search for bylaws and it came up with the 1996 but no mention on flying UAV’ though a search on google did bring some blurb saying it’s forbidden and listed CAP 393 (or more ANO 2016) and CAA…and frogs with 26 eyes, though I suppose it’s the jobs worth that have 26 eyes. I have my A2CofC and 12m of public liability. The RFZ does not go as far as Bosham and stops just before the Beggars Roost, and I always take CAP722/722C/ANO 2016/CAA 1982 (in ring binder folders) just for those who seem to know why you cannot fly rather than understanding the regulations. Though it’s mainly CAP 722C 4.3/4.3.1/4.3.2 and as there is no UAS geographical zone no RFZ and no bylaw that I have found restricting takeoff or landing, I can not see why as long as you follow the UAV code and all pertinent regulations why you can not fly in Bosham . Am I missing something?

You have done far more research than I did when flying near there.

I actually flew from across the water and, zoomed into Dronescene , there is little to worry about apart from an area of National Trust property and a couple of cemeteries.

Zoomed out , again no concerns. The DJI “can’t take off” zone doesn’t extend as far as Bosham and the smaller, correct, restriction around Goodwood airfield isn’t any where near. I would take a note of the ATC phone number. 01243 755061 just i case of a flyway or other incident.

I flew under the old, simpler regulations and achieved the shot I was going for without hassle from a public footpath. The couple of walkers I encountered weren’t bothered by what I was doing.

As for flying is Bosham itself - I had considered it and ruled it out as too much hassle to get separation from houses and people and still have a good line of sight and a good spot for TOAL. Under the new regs and with a Mini that shouldn’t be a problem. Your Pro is restricted to 50m separation even with A2Cof C though, to be honest, to the complaining public a drone is a drone.

Which brings me to suggest that just because a thing is allowed it isn’t necessarily appreciated by others. But, if you fly with courtesy - and look as you have the right to be doing so - you should be ok.

I took a look at Bosham Parish Council - they have the power to make bylaws, but I don’t see anything regarding drones, Chichester Harbour Conservancy have no search function on their website so I’m unable to discover anything and Chichester District Council do have bylaws pertaining to the harbour and to the foreshore. These are reasonable and basically say (my interpretation) that although horseriding, kite flying, sports and games are allowed you mustn’t conduct these activities if you are annoying or endangering other people.

So my view is that, as you say, if I follow the code and if I consider the welfare of other people I can fly in and around Bosham. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, @macspite , yes I total agree with you, it all come down to using your common sense and being courteous. I have taken down the Tel for ATC and the coords for Chidham, but also put in a FOI to both Chichester District council and Bosham Parish Council. I did the same for Adur and Worthing and had a reply that no restrictions apply, though you still need to follow the appropriate regulation and like Goodwood we have Shoreham airport which stretches into Worthing. Though Arundel has no restrictions at all as long as you follow the regulations. Thank you for some great photos and the info for ATC and Chidham

I am off to Bosham end off this month being off next and as you have done “see how the land lies” and decide if it’s worth flying from Bosham or Chidham. Thank you @macspite

1 Like