Boundary Dispute--- Aerial Photos

Hi All.

I have been asked by a friend to take some aerial photos of his land boundary. He is in dispute of the boundary lines with his neighbour.
As my friend will be an involved person I can legally take photos but where do I stand with the neighbour? I can see a privacy issue here and it seems unlikely that the neighbour will agree for pics to be taken.

Thanks all.

2 Likes

What drone are you flying? You’ll get away with it if you have a sub 250g drone.

Anything bigger just keep the safe distance and you’ll be fine.

I’m guessing for boundary shots your going to be fairly high, making the people on the ground unrecognisable?

Do everything legally and the neighbour can’t do jack.

2 Likes

Has your friend got boundary details from Land Registry… only costs £3.

This is a good starting point and can be used in conjunction with some aerial footage.

Boundary disputes can be unpleasant, so the neighbour may well ‘kick off’ if he spots a drone. So, as @McSteamy2010 says, stay on the right side of the law. The MM/M2 is your friend in this respect.

Ned

1 Like

You definitely need to make sure the flight is entirely legal, including the right separation distances to an uninvolved person.

Regarding privacy, what are you going to be photographing that would not be visible to anyone flying overhead in a helicopter?

1 Like

Thanks to all for your prompt replies.

I am flying a Mavic Air 2, so over 250g.

I guess with the new rules that came in at the beginning of the year, flying over 50m (150ft), I should be ok?

Regards

1 Like

See these two posts:

From that you will see your MA2 can only be flown in subcategory A3 (>150m outside urban areas); or in subcategory A2 if you hold an A2 Certificate of Competency (>50m from uninvolved persons).

So whether your flight is legal depends on whether you are in a residential area, whether you hold the A2 CofC, and whether you can remain 50m horizontally from the uninvolved neighbour at all times.

The new rules don’t say anything about it being good to fly at a greater height, indeed the CAA’s guidance says the opposite. Lower down = safer. Higher up = less intrusive for privacy.

1 Like

is there not a clear view on google maps ,would save any nasty problems you can do a screen grab of it

3 Likes

Good idea if the imagery is reasonably up to date.

Ned

Excellent idea. Thank you :+1::+1:.

I’m quite sure Google weren’t asking permission from everyone before they photographed the entire planet either :slight_smile:

1 Like

Re Google Maps; I’ve found some of the satellite ones we use to be a far better quality with a more powerful zoom.

Can’t you wait until the neighbour is out? I know with lockdown that could be tricky.
Not sure how you can do it without breaking lockdown rules. Neighbour likely to report you for that.

Mavic Mini 2. Low speed mode - allows 5m from uninvolved people, but 1:1 rule applies.

If you need to be 15m height then you need to be 15m distance too.

Would be the best direction for this.

Neither of these legally applies to a Mavic Mini 2, which can be flown directly above uninvolved people, with no specified separation distances. Although it obviously has to be done safely.

3 Likes

This Is for the A2 category for Certified drones which aren’t yet on the market and will be enforced in 2023.
Providing you have completed the A2CofC . :+1:

3 Likes

It really doesn’t…

1 Like

Ahh of course. My mistake on that one. I hold my hands up there…

I edit my response… GoPro on a fishing rod then :joy:

3 Likes

Or of course …

Hi, easy enough, just use Google earth. Its just as clear for your friend, with no issues for the drone pilot.
Maybe not in the spirit of things, but its much more practical as either photos will have to be overlayed to show the contested boundary.