Breaking the speed limit - How fast is your drone? Find out on our leaderboard!

Oooooo.

2 Likes

:running_man:t2:

51mph gusts? Imagine a Mavic 3 in Atti mode and a following wind… :grin:

1 Like

How close are you getting? I don’t have the MA2 anymore, so I could not try to outdo me or chase you if you get to the leaderboard.

Ye Gods, these speeds are incredible! Thought I had done well on Saturday, with a 37mph speed registered on my MINI3Pro, but almost 70 mph from @Clinkadink is frankly insane!

Yes, the Mini 3 is slow, compared to his 100mph with a Mini 2 :astonished:

Yup!

:rofl:

1 Like

He flies downhill - much faster than flying uphill :joy:

I know I am outvoted on this but all other speed records I have come across involve 2 timed runs - one in each direction and an average taken of the speeds.

Otherwise it seems to be a case of sacrifice your aircraft to biggest wind you can find …

2 Likes

That would be kind of pointless too - since (fundamentally) they are pitch and GPS speed limited.

Therefore, the average would become lower the faster the wind … GPS limited downwind (always the same) and pitch limited upwind (lower the faster the wind speed).

So - yes - then we get into whether they are in ATTI mode or not and it then becomes another kettle of fish.

In the end it’s just a bit of fun and boundary pushing … and pushing the boundary in ATTI mode is just as relevant as in GPS mode - if not more so.

Most speed records tend to be a case of who’s got the biggest balls anyway ( unless it’s a womans event, but then again these day i’m not so sure). So if you have enough bottle to lose the drone, why not.

1 Like

Yes, you did mention this before … but …

:point_up: is 100% accurate, any a test that involves travelling in both directions and taking the mean average is pointless. Dave has put it far more eloquently than I can, but I’ll have a bash …

Using Atti mode:

1. The wind is blowing 50 mph from west to the east
  2. I perform my Atti run from the western side of Barbury Castle heading east
  3. I achieve a max speed of 60 mph
  4. I then then perform the same run in reverse from the eastern side heading west
  5. I cannot use Atti mode as there is no GPS lock (that’s the whole point), so need to use Sport
  6. I achieve a max speed of 12 mph (due to the 50 mph head wind)
  7. My average is 36 mph

Not using Atti mode:

1. The wind is blowing 50 mph from west to the east
  2. I perform my run from the western side of Barbury Castle heading east
  3. I achieve a max speed of 37 mph
  4. I then then perform the same run in reverse from the eastern side heading west
  5. I achieve a max speed of 12 mph (due to the 50 mph head wind)
  6. My average is 24.5 mph

Either way, the result is no more than I can achieve in my back garden with no wind.

Regardless, such a test would make the whole thread kind of boring. As without Atti mode, you’ll always be limited by GPS positioning, e.g. Mini 3 Pro @ 37 mph. So what’s the point :man_shrugging:

My wife tells me, I have lots of wind every night — must try to launch the drone :joy: :joy:

Mavic 3 Pro

55.83 mph

No wind!

1 Like

Leader-board updated.

17th! :+1:

1 Like

I beat my own record and just crept over 60mph

Mavic 3 Pro
60.89mph

On the final flight for me of the weekend.

Shame that the wind was still missing :joy: Well 8.1 mph wind :joy:

5 Likes

… again …

16th! :+1:

3 Likes

68.63mph today.

Is this an entry Ian @DroneGeek ?

If so, can you share the flight for us please as per:

1 Like

Sorry meant to do that

2 Likes