Buying a Used Drone - Any advise?

Hi,

My first post :slight_smile:

I’m looking to by a used Mavic Pro, although I was very very tempted with an Air I saw last week.

I’ve specifically been looking for one with DJI Refresh, to give me at least some reassurance although CEX ( love them or hate them) currently have MP FlyMore Grade A for £680 with 2y warranty.

Is it possible to check which seril# DJI refresh is tied to?

It’s going to be difficult to see it fly in the current weather conditions.

I’m hoping to get along to a meet to get some pointers from you more experienced flyers very soon!

Out of curiosity David, what experience of flying drones have you?.
Not sure on the DJI Refresh though.
Maybe worth a visit to our “For Sale and Wanted Section”

Very little.

I’ve been looking into it for sometime and went along to Leicester Drone Club for hands on, which is where I heard about this forum.

I can’t justify the price of a new one unfortunately.

My advice is to trawl Youtube for videos on the Mavic Pro or Mavic Air, you will ick a load of good information on there.
A big welcome by the way from us all on GADC, enjoy your stay !

All my drones except 1 have been bought 2nd hand.

If you can take someone with you a little more knowledgable. Check the members map and see if anyone is close enough to you and may help… it may cost you the price of a pint or Mucky D’s. Lol

If not then ask to see the drone flying. If the weather is suitable.
Check the drone over look for damage heavy scratches that may indicate a heavy landing or crash, check the batteries.
Ask them to power it up in doors even if you cant see it fly ….
Power off and restart using all the batteries.
Check the camera function …
Ask why they are selling it on ?
Ask them if there on this site of DJI forums? They wont want a bad name if they are passing on junk.
But to be honest 99.9 percent of people are pretty genuine. Im sure most people will be happy to show you it working that way also its proof for them it was working when they sold it to you …

4 Likes

Second that,bought a second hand spark for the boy,and the guy selling was more than happy to let us see it fly,absolute bargain,three batteries and lots of cases and spare props,and in perfect condition,most people selling can be easily asked a few questions,and, it seems most are very honest.Just use your sense of judgment,if something seems off,walk away :+1::+1:

My Air was a refurb from Drones Direct and is as good as new. DJI refresh (AFAIK) only comes with a new drone.

2 Likes

I wonder how knowledgeable the staff at CEX are when it comes to drones. What would their warranty cover?

Would they repair/replace a crashed drone which we would say was caused by a fault?

@leeheyes
On the DJI Forum, an official DJI response states DJI Refresh is attached to the unit, not the owner, and stays with the unit if it is sold.

From what I understand DJI Refresh can only be applied to new Drones, but then renewed providing it is not allowed to lapse.

@TassyWass
I can’t imagine CEX Staff members drone knowledge is great. The warranty certainly won’t cover crash damage, or batteries, but it is a step up from eBay.

Thanks for the pointers. I was kinda hoping there was a way from the flight log (if there is one!) to tell is it had crashed. Perhaps a rapid descent, or end of flight without landing.

Perhaps I’m over complicating things :confused:

Don’t think Refresh can be renewed. I think you can get Refresh on a second hand drone if it’s never had Refresh. You have to send them videos showing the drone doing different things.

Who at CEX would look at the flight logs? From my understanding they test electronics at the store?

No you can only get care refresh on a brand new drone (that comes with a warranty) There is a DJI ebay store that sells refurbished drones (with warranty ). You can also get care refresh on these craft too.

I wasn’t 100% sure but I think you used to be able to get Refresh on second hand drones if they were still within the one year warranty period.

You get 48 hours to buy care refresh after activating your new drone after that it becomes a real pain, you have to make a Aircraft Verification Video of your drone (what a pain)

https://repair.dji.com/en/djicare/customerupload

1 Like