BVLOS?

I believe BVLOS can be done quite safely, if performed in a suitable location, with a suitable model, and a pilot whom understands the capabilities and limitations of the equipment being used.

I don’t consider a multirotor to be a suitable model for BVLOS, primarily because they are not energy efficient and they are not renowned for their ability to glide when power is lost. But a light weight foam fixed wing with dihedral in the wings and a pusher propulsion system should not pose any danger to life and limb should things go South.

Current off the shelf drones are not really suitable unless there is redundancy built in for their primary navigational components, where as iNav, Arduplane/copter/rover, and Betaflight, can still perform a failsafe RTH without a compass.

Obviously someone performing legal BVLOS missions will need to be using legal equipment for control and video. 5.8GHz with 25milliwatts will probably not be suitable without using high gain antennas and an accurate tracking system on the receiver side of things. So other legal frequencies will need to be utilised, but these could also cause problems with the control link if suitable separation and filtering is not used.

If amateur balloonists can obtain clearance for launching small helium balloons with modest payloads into the stratosphere I don’t see why BVLOS missions cannot also be carried out if all the prerequisites are met.

4 Likes

I agree totally.

1 Like

Re @Nidge 's post about using a foam fixed wing, wasn’t it one of these that was involved in the incident in Barrow in Furness when the OP lost control and it “glided” towards the submarine base, narrowly missing people on a bridge?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hriyv8WRHg4
If you lose control BVLOS, you have by definition no control as to where it lands. With VLOS you should be aware of your surroundings.

If the aircraft decides not to RTH, it doesn’t matter whether it is VLOS or BVLOS.

I remember that incident and the subsequent outcome.

I refer back to my opening remark of flying in an appropriate area and understanding the capabilities and limitations of the equipment being used. Things rarely fail for no apparent reason and in most cases can be linked to operator error. This is no different from a car accident as someone is always responsible, either through carelessness or failure to maintain the car. The operator claimed that while he had control of the model it was within visual line of sight, or rather being flown to such a distance that it would have been if he actually had a spotter. The claim was that he lost control which resulted in the model flying beyond line of sight. I find this difficult to believe as in the video it can be seen following the length of the estuary and appearing to be under control. I also seem to remember there was some questioning regarding the legality of the area he was flying from.

There were other factors which led up to his prosecution. Even though he was, at the time of the incident, a member of the BMFA, the BMFA nullified any insurance and legal protection as the radio equipment he was using was not licensed for use in the UK. This in turn garnered the interests of OFCOM. There were many things the operator could have done as a result of this flyaway which he failed to do which would have mitigated the subsequent prosecution.

How to deal with a BVLOS flyaway.

A few years back a very experienced member of our flying club, now sadly passed away, experienced a flyaway as a result of operator error.

He was flying a largish glow powered bi-plane when, while in the process of performing a loop, all control was lost. The cause of this loss of control was due to his failure to secure the receiver battery properly and it was ejected from the model during this high G manoeuvre.

Without this receiver battery the control surfaces and the engine would not transition to a failsafe condition and the model kept on climbing and flying further away. Next is why this incident differs from the one in the video. The operator immediately alerted the nearest airport, in this case LBA, and the regional police force. On top of this all members at the flying field downed tools in an attempt to follow the now very distant model.

In the days following this incident the operator chartered a small aircraft to search the area in the hope of finding what might be left of the model but to no avail. He’d also alerted the BMFA of the incident and filed a report with the CAA.

After this incident the operator purchased a dozen or more GPS trackers to fit into all his remaining models. Thankfully this was in a very rural area and the risk of third party damage/injury, while still very probable, was much less than if in a more built up area. This was of no comfort for the operator as after this incident he never flew again. He passed away within a year. Some attributed this very distressing incident as the primary contributor to his sudden downturn in his health.

The two major differences between these two incidents are the areas in which they occurred, one being sparsely populated and the other a busy built up area. The second as where one person made it a point of alerting the authorities immediately while the other was brought to the attention of the powers that be because his model washed up in a sensitive area and his name and address was on the model.

2 Likes

The US version and possibly others but not the EU version of the Mavic Air 2 has AirSense that alerts the operator to manned aircraft in the drones current air space so that the operator can make the appropriate action to avoid said manned aircraft. Not sure this would help BVLOS though but the technology exists non the less. So I don’t see why it couldn’t work both ways where it would alert the manned aircraft as well as the operator.

1 Like

On BVLOS sort of, has anyone any information a lot signal loss on distance an “accidentally” behind buildings?

There is a complex formula for calculation path loss in free space for any particular frequency over any distance… but thankfully there is an online calculator that takes all the hard work out of it.

https://www.pasternack.com/t-calculator-fspl.aspx

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check it out

My big quad, with a ‘CUBE Orange’ flight controller has ADSB
It knows when other similarly equiped airbourne craft are in vicinity and can be programmed to take avoiding action.

1 Like

ADSB is what DJI uses for ‘AirSense’. It works in receive mode and as far as I’m aware, it just gives the operator a warning… It doesn’t take evasive action.

Ned

1 Like

Hi @Ned
Within Mission Planner you can program your craft to perform a number of avoiding actions.
I’m talking with the CUBE flight controller and the ABSD carrier board here.

2 Likes

@Steviegeek I know mate, and that sounds awesome!! DJI not quite there yet.

Ned

That’s the difference between a closed system and an opensource system. With DJI you have to accept what you’re given but with opensource you have the freedom to either change it yourself or approach the developers to include a feature in the next build, which in the case of Ardupilot is quite frequent.

One feature I enjoy with Arducopter is the Smart Return to Home. This is not the same as DJI’s Smart RTH, which is fancy speak for Dynamic Home Point, but rather the model will retrace its steps back to the point of take-off, matching the speed and altitude of the outgoing flight.

3 Likes

Yep, so if it didn’t hit a tree on it’s way out, it shouldn’t hit one on the way back in, weather conditions permitting of course :smile:

This looks great

1 Like

Prosecution was a bit of a foregone conclusion, not only did he take off in controlled airspace for Walney Island airport, but he flew into another FRZ (surface to 2000’) that exists around the Nuclear Submarine shipyards (The large Sheds on the left after the bridge).

1 Like

What would happen in the event that you wanted to get home by quickest and most direct route and it was doing Smart Return?

Then you can either take over and fly it manually or switch to the regular return to home function. Arducopter has 13 regular flight modes selectable from the Mission Planner or QGroundControl GUI. I have six of my most used autonomous flight modes setup on my controller for when I fly without a tablet or phone.

Wow. It sounds pretty comprehensive.