Byland Abbey - Added to English Heritage in Yorkshire and the Humber

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Byland Abbey belongs to
English Heritage so
There is no TOAL from the site. I drove past the Abbey, keeping the Abbey to my LHS the pub to my RHS and drove to a lay-bye just up the road 400m away. From here I was able to over fly the Abbey photograph as required.

If you have time, pop into the pub across the road from the Abbey. I highly recommend the Byland Burger and a pint of John Smiths. Hmmmmm

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 29/04/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

Hi @speatuk
I’ve flown there

Nice place to fly.
Mick

2 Likes

There’s too many gaps there to not use them for the intended purpose, going through them!

I chickened out, lol

Hi Guys,

Would I be able to fly my DJI mini 3 Pro here? As it’s sub 250g, are there any restrictions if I take off from a public road and fly near the building? I’ve checked the Heritage site and they said you need to fill in an application form, however as it’s sub 250g, is this all okay or do I need further documentation? Many thanks,
Luke

That sounds like a form for a commercial flight such as filming for a TV show or similar (for which they will then invoice you several thousand pounds).

As the details in the first post indicate, no permission is required if you’re not taking off from their land but are instead simply flying over it as a hobbyist :blush:

Just do it.