CAA - VLOS and AR Goggles

With the upcoming Avata 2 and the Goggles v3 that appear to have front facing cameras’ and the the leaked info suggest picture in picture (PIP) functionality. How will the CAA view this ? Will the need for a spotter during FPV still be needed. ( man the CAA need to review this criteria as its basically impossible to do due to the way an FPV flys )

I know the rules exclude the use if things like binoculars etc so I guess this will be classed as not via normal vision or with glasses on.

I also doubt that this setup will let you still be able to view the drone at any great distance too - on a par of what you can currently see or less really.

I am quite keen to see how this will work both within the law and practically. I have seen some YouTube vids of people using the Apple Vision Pro to give that augmented reality view with the drone. Its cool but is is practical ?

1 Like

On the videos I saw when the pilot was using Apple Vision Pro, there was a significant lag/latency in the image (due to the way that had to ‘cludge’ the connection I assume).

I have never flown an FPV, but I’m pretty sure latency is not a good thing!

the Vision Pro setup was very much a Frankenstein setup as no native app for the device so that did lead to latency and your right for FPV that would be quite bad. Knowing you hit a bridge 5 seconds after you hit it is no fun haha

But the DJI setup may not suffer from that due to it being a native setup. Just keen to see what the CAA view on this would be and if it would do away from the need of a spotter.

1 Like

HDzero over the air is 8ms glass to glass… Pretty impressive. The apple vision is slightly slower (go figure), but I’m guessing the new goggles is pretty damned quick. Even the worst FPV is 30-40ms very quick, and quick enough to fly.

The requirement is the un aided eye (other than glasses, binoculars , etc aren’t allowed). I don’t think it’ll change the spotter requirement at all tbh

Mads tech said that the pass through isn’t that good, which is weird. You’d expect a camera on front to the screen would be pretty good and quick. We’ll find out on Friday no doubt

1 Like

Yes a spotter will still be required, as it is still classed as a visual aid. Plus you are physically not seeing the drone un aided, also it restricts your peripheral vision which is quite important to the CAA when classing VLOS as you are suposed to easily, be able to see your surroundings.

1 Like

This was my understanding of the rules. Thanks.