Can I fly a drone around Tower Bridge?

1 Like

That isn’t actually correct.
The restricted helicopter corridor terminates at Tower Bridge.
“London CTR” covers the whole city and isn’t relevant - its perfectly legal to operate a drone within a CTR/ATZ/TMA.

So it’s not a no-fly zone. This has been confirmed by the CAA - the City of London special area and 2 helicopter routes ARE prohibited zones but again they terminate at the bridge.

You also do not need permission from the river authorities to fly over the river. That is not and never has been the case.

Ignore the drone scene app - its showing “the specified area” and no more than that. The CAA themselves have confirmed SUAS flight inside this particular “specified area” is legal.

You can’t fly inside R157,158,159. But those aren’t this side of the bridge.
R160 (the area you quote) specifically deals with single engine manned aircraft only. ( https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2018-11-08-AIRAC/graphics/43863.pdf )

Specifically R160 is:

" Except with written permission of the CAA ( 01293 567171) a helicopter shall not fly over this area below such a height as would enable it, in
event of an engine failure, to land clear of the area. See also ENR 1.1, subs"

CAP722 describes the restrictions ( CAP 722: Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace - Guidance)

Its not gung-ho to fly where its legally permissible to do so and you don’t need to seek permission to fly in areas which have no permission required to fly.

My question entirely is about valid TOAL locations not the airspace. The airspace itself is 100% legitimate and legal for flying. Im entirely comfortable the airspace itself is legitimately open for use.

2 Likes

Not to be confused with an official CAA flight restriction zone (FRZ)

Just found this thread:

Has details from the CAA confirming the above - R160 applies to helicopters only (whereas 157,158,159 do specifically apply to SUAS).

4 Likes

If it was me, I’d TOAL from the riverside path at a suitably quiet time. But I think your only other option is to contact the relevant council asking: is the footpath on their land? And if so, do they have any byelaws or stated written policy affecting drones?

2 Likes

The “girl dancing with a dolphin” statue on the north bank has been used as a TOAL location before, from details in one of the FB groups.

1 Like

I was always sceptical about flying around there, but from my understanding now from this side of the bridge looking towards the London tower it’s ok, am I correct?

Look on Altitude Angel, or Dronescene and you will see that east of Tower bridge is not within the Restricted Zone. However, that does not mean you can launch from anywhere. This area is within Tower Hamlets and they have designated all their parks and open spaces as no fly zones for drones and model aircraft.

It’s good practice to look into who owns what when it comes to open spaces and check the byelaws on the council’s website.

This related thread will also help: Understanding Flight Zones in London

2 Likes

Of course they don’t have the authority to do that. They can forbid TOAL in areas they own, but they don’t control the airspace so cannot designate anything as a “no fly zone” - only the CAA can do that

1 Like

From a section of their park rules as below regarding model aircraft…

“Taking off, controlling the flight, or landing of any power-driven model aircrafts is not permitted. This includes drones.”

One could argue the ’ controlling of flight ’ reference should be removed but It’s quite obvious it’s relating to TOAL within a LBTH park/open space.

I’m up in Tower Hamlets on a regular basis and have yet to come across a sign that mentions a no fly zone. I’d be interested to see a picture if these signs do exist.

1 Like

I believe that’s in there to prevent anyone using a TOAL position off their land, then moving onto their land to control the flight. Maintaining VLOS at all times makes it difficult in many cases to control the flight over their land, from outside it.

Just to add some clarity for this thread. My friends and I flew drones around the area of the O2 and Tower Bridge in September. We had paid a flight school for the experience and it was awesome. At the O2 we flew my friend’s new, straight out of the box DJI Mavic Mini, TOAL site was behind the O2 from the public footpath facing the West India Dock, just had to make sure pedestrians were not in the immediate area flew straight out across the water went up and flew to our hearts content, with good guidance from Alan the pilot. 3 batteries later we then moved on to a small park area with a public footpath opposite Butler’s Wharf, you will recognise it by the block of granite with the dove cut out, then we flew the DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro owned by Alan. There is an area of NFZ and the drone just gave us a warning and we flew further out across the Thames to get passed it. Something to do with the navy building. Hope this helps with your questions. Alan said he did contact the officials but they weren’t interested in sub 250g drones. Go fly. I loved the experience and so did my friends.

1 Like

NFZ OR FRZ ?

No fly zone. Prohibited due to the naval building but it appears to be a square from the width of the building out across to the jetty . Sorry did I get the short form wrong, I’m new to all this lol.

What was the point of paying someone?

Because much like driving instructors, Alan Proto and other drone flight training instructors don’t work for free.

6 Likes

I understand that part. I’m wondering what you get for your money?

That part

2 Likes

HMS President is listed as a hazard, not prohibited. You’ll only find it open once a week as it’s a Naval Reservist centre.