Can I fly a drone around Tower Bridge?

Not following you at all.

1 Like

What I read from it is they were shown how and where to fly safely in a heavily restricted area by someone that obviously knows the rules, and more importantly, the area. Where to TOAL, where to avoid and how to not get themselves into bother by the police, or worse.

2 Likes

@mynameisjoe - that’s exactly what it was. I have flown in my local park but stick very close to the area I stand, my friend was so nervous about flying even though I explained about just let the sticks go and it will hover, so we looked for a tutor found a flying school on line checked out the website and then booked. As for cost of the lesson you have to take into consideration, 6 hours dedicated time to 3 trainees, one very new nervous and 2 that have flown a small amount of time, paid for the Uber boat and then a taxi between sites, must be insured for public liability, drone insurance in case of stupid trainees and supply the drones to fly, give instruction on the laws, local and CAA. It helped my nervous friend understand what fun it is to fly and what amazing pictures and video can be taken from a different angle. When we got back and looked at our pictures on a bigger screen we felt we needed to look for a local flying club, hence joining the Grey Arrows.

4 Likes

(most) Folks don’t work for free, unless you are one of those?

For the third time what is the “work” that is being provided?

mynameisjoe is suggesting it’s being “shown how and where to fly safely in a heavily restricted area”. Fair play if you don’t have the wherewithal to work that out yourself but I can’t imagine many people needing assistance with that let alone paying someone for it.

One

Two

Three

Count this reply as four.

You’d be surprised how many people need assistance in things

1 Like

Just to try and clarify the reasoning behind the drone experience day. My friend was given a brand new Mavic mini as a gift, over a year ago, felt too scared to take it out of the box, even though I had offered the controller of my Mavic mini. It took me quite sometime to encourage an outing. I love flying but at that point was still only doing basic movements, never flown round a corner or done s bend moves. We agreed that if we booked a flying lesson pretty much like a car driving lesson, the box would be opened and a qualified instructor would encourage my friends first flight by assisting with the inital setting up and first flight. Job done my friend is now happy to go drone flying with me. You guys on here all sound very confident and tech minded and probably have no problem with the thoughts of smashing or losing your drones as I think you would be able to just order the spares and make your drone flyable again. My friend and I don’t have the knowlege or the confidence to build a drone or repair one, blades being an exception, I’ve changed those on my 4drc. It took me a while before I joined Grey Arrows as the last time (1976) that I accompanied a friend to a model aircraft club I found most of the members snobby and judgmental with what was built and owned by their members. I think most members in this group are nice and are very friendly, I do have a giggle to myself at some of the banter that goes on amongst the members. I hope that when the weather gets better and you start to have meet ups in an area that I can get to I will be able to meet some of you and join in with some good flying and fun, I hope that my friend will come along too, I’m sure you guys will encourage and build my friends confidence.

7 Likes

You shouldn’t have to justify yourself my man. You just do you and be happy with what you’ve achieved. :+1:t2:

it can be a mine field at times with the constant changing of the rules. personally I don’t see the issue with paying for some tuition. If it gives you and your friend the confidence to get out and fly then thats money well spent in my eyes :+1:t2: look forward to seeing you at the next Big GADC Meet :ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

@ANDMUL We are all happy to help each other here.

When I first started 50m up was a long way!

I can remember seeing Steve flying his drone fast and high - but it was not for me.

I hoped to perhaps one day get to 120m.

Many miles have happened since then.

We all have to take our first steps at some point!

I am hoping to fly in the USA and maybe one or two other countries this winter. But I can assure you that I am just as nervous about making my first USA flight :joy:

I hope you and your friend have many more great flights. Feel free to invite your friend to this group.

The PLA like to think you need their permission…

https://www.pla.co.uk/Safety/Use-of-drones/unmanned-aerial-vehicles-UAVs

What they think and what is reality aren’t always the same thing.

Cleverly worded too - says they want to be notified and users should be “aware” of legislation.

I contacted them regarding the legislation. All they could reply with was some speil about a danger to navigation. Yes that’s understandable but exactly what is the legislation you are quoting me? No good just telling me it’s a danger to navigation! :roll_eyes:

Wait until they see all those gulls flying over the river without permission!

1 Like

Well they need to clarify first with drone flyers exactly what legislation they are trying to use as it’s neither in the PLA byelaws either!

1 Like