Can I fly at the old Doncaster airport?

Got some but TOAL is limited as most of the roads are owned by Peel so flew from Hayfield Lane which has been adopted by DMBC . I emailed the CAA a couple of weeks ago to confirm I could Fly my 249 Gramme Drone I got confirmation this morning from CAA that OK to fly Sub 249 gramme drone in the former FRZ as per NOTAM 2583/23 Whilst NOTAM is Valid. I emailed DJI a copy of the NOTAM my Mini 2 is Unlocked until July 31st and my Mini 3 Pro until June 14 I will get another Unlock for it tomorrow to take me until end July. Will put some photos on soon. I intend to fly in the Former FRZ as much as possible as I believe the |Airport will reopen eventually its a unique opportunity.

2 Likes

Thats us sorted next weekend @Howard78 @speatuk

2 Likes

Meet? :smiley:

1 Like

Fly from my garden mate :sunglasses:

1 Like

If you look on Drone Assist my NOTAM also comes in to effect today until July 31st basically a 4.9Nm Radius of the Centre Lines of the Runway-
Yesterday I received a Call from an Helicopter Pilot who had seen my NOTAM apparently he Flies in and out of a property in Old Cantley area so he made me aware of this.

That’ll be lord kirkhams helicopter flying in to cantley manor

1 Like

I used to work part time for graham kirkham 35 years ago when in lived at Sprotbrough falls

1 Like

I worked for DFS about 12 years ago.
He used to fly in to the office and back home almost daily

Hi, i am very local to the airport, and have posted on a few forums about this subject. I have ordered a dji mini 3 pro. Have permission on various fields round here from shooting and metal detecting, but as im new to this i dont know if the DJI software will still restrict you from flying in the area. I see you have managed to do this successfully? Are you local to Finningley? Thanks in advance.

Hi @v10simon, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

Also see these other posts around same topic

A few of us local to it

https://greyarro.ws/search?context=topic&context_id=56094&q=Vulcan&skip_context=true

Hi Simon,

I’m based in Auckley (what used to be the old Raf camp) and have lived here for almost 20 years.

It is possible to unlock the drone by using DJI’s unlocking service - full details can be found here

You will need to explain when, why and for how long you intend to fly and quote the following notam which will explain that the current status of the airport is class G (meaning you can fly).

Please read up on the relevant regulations around flight and if possible ensure that a notam or flight report is logged to alert other pilots as both manned and unmanned aircraft will be in the vicinity.

I would ensure that you are taking off from a public road as Peel who own the airport have a reputation for following through with anyone flying from their land.

3 Likes

Thank you that’s very helpful. I don’t want to fly anywhere on their land at all by the way. Just got quite a bit of permission for metal detecting on farmland round here that’s in the blue zone on the DJI map. You probably live less than 5 mins from me too.

most of the area surrounding the airport should be flyable without the unlock.

I know I can fly in my garden without it now.

That’s interesting. I know there’s been a few finds locally over the years. Wouldn’t mind having a go myself but wouldn’t know where to start :joy:

Hi,
I have gone through the DJI unlock process twice now, and im currently unlocked for the duration of the notam that is inplace at the minute, which is until early november

1 Like

That’s the same as me then. I did the same for the last notam that expired recently

Yep, me too… ive not actially been down yet because of work and sh*t weather.
Plus im a bit concerned im gonna ditch it within the perimeter fence :crazy_face:

Flown a few times there now.

If you’ve got DJI and it’s set up correctly it should come home every time.

That’s unless you crash but it’s pretty open and hazard free.

1 Like

Where do you take off from ?

I might pop down weds teatime, weather looks perfect :grinning:

1 Like